Re: Finnish and Quenya future

  • Petri Tikka
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 31, 2003
      Partit (Patrick) tence:

      > Since Quenya, unlike Finnish and English, _does_ possess
      > morphologically distinct present (continuative) and aorist
      > tenses, it would be highly confusing to refer to the Q. aorist
      > as a "present" tense, all the moreso since the Q. aorist
      > does not refer specifically to the present, but is instead used
      > to express general truths or habitually recurrent actions,
      > without specifying whether said action takes place in the
      > past or present (hence the term 'aorist' < Gk. _aoristos_
      > 'indefinite'). [...]

      Thank you, I understand now. But what about _Eleni SILIR
      lúmesse omentiemman_ 'The stars SHINE on the hour
      of our meeting' (VI:324)? Here the time is locked by
      _lúmesse_ 'on the hour', so it can not express a recurrent
      action, let alone a general truth. The moment is thus
      defined as present.

      Petri Tikka Helsinki, Finland
      kari.j.tikka@...
      http://www.geocities.com/petristikka/

      ***************************************

      [I disagree that the time in this phrase is locked by
      _lúmesse_, "so it can not express a recurrent action,
      let alone a general truth." There is nothing inherent in
      _lúmesse_ 'on the hour' that would restrict its point
      of reference to a single, non-recurrent moment in
      present time. In English, for example, one can say
      "My grandfather clock chimes _on the hour_", which
      expresses both a recurrent action and a general
      truth: the clock in question rings every hour, 24
      hours a day, seven days a week. Note that "chimes"
      in this sentence would be a gnomic present
      (= aorist).

      In the phrase _Eleni silir lúmesse omentiemman_
      'The stars shine on the hour of our meeting', the
      aorist _silir_ comes first in the sentence, and its
      context affects the interpretation of the next word
      _lúmesse_, not vice versa. Since the aorist indicates
      a general truth rather than a specific present event, the
      sense of the greeting in this case must be something
      like *'The stars shine whenever we meet'. No matter
      that the words are uttered by Frodo on his _first_
      meeting with Gildor -- this is, after all, meant to be a
      traditional greeting, not an expression coined by
      Frodo for that specific occasion.

      This contrasts with the Elvish greeting as it finally
      appears in _The Lord of the Rings_: _Elen síla
      lúmenn' omentielvo_ 'a star shines on the hour
      of our meeting' (LR:79). As you noted in message
      #307, this contains the present continuative _síla_,
      so that in the final text the Elvish greeting now (in
      contrast to the earlier aorist versions) refers only
      to the present, specific encounter: *'a star is
      shining (now) upon the hour of (this) our meeting'.

      -- Patrick Wynne]
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 31, 2003
        On Donnerstag, Januar 30, 2003, at 09:09 Uhr, Petri Tikka wrote:

        > I find it quite strange that the term _aorist_ is applied
        > to a tense that points to the present in Quenya

        Aorist in Greek means "undefined, not fixed". Hence it fits the Quenya
        "tense" quite well (compare Patrick's description). Indeed, the name
        "aorist" fits the Quenya tense better than the Greek since the latter
        was mostly used as a past tense. The past value, however, did not
        originally reside in the aorist form as such but in the augment e-.
        Note that the Quenya "perfect" tense employs a similar strategy. For a
        very close typological parallel you might want to look at Turkish.
        Turkish has an "aorist" as well which is used for general or gnomic
        statements. It's a present tense as well.

        David Kiltz
      • Lukas Novak
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 2, 2003
          Patrick Wynne responded to Petri Tikka:

          > In the phrase _Eleni silir lúmesse omentiemman_
          > 'The stars shine on the hour of our meeting', the
          > aorist _silir_ comes first in the sentence, and its
          > context affects the interpretation of the next word
          > _lúmesse_, not vice versa. Since the aorist indicates
          > a general truth rather than a specific present event, the
          > sense of the greeting in this case must be something
          > like *'The stars shine whenever we meet'. No matter
          > that the words are uttered by Frodo on his _first_
          > meeting with Gildor -- this is, after all, meant to be a
          > traditional greeting, not an expression coined by
          > Frodo for that specific occasion.

          This is one interpretation. Is not there another possible one, namely
          that the aorist is used in a sense not excluding temporal determination,
          but merely abstracting from it, not expressing it, leaving the job to
          the "luumesse" - that would be just another example of the principle
          that unnecessary grammatical determination is left out (like the "last
          declinable word" rule or absence of verbal personal endings if the
          subject is expressed)?

          [Certainly this is a _possible_ alternative interpretation, though I
          wouldn't say it's a _probable_ one, because -- again --it assumes
          that _lúmesse_ 'on the hour' somehow inherently points to a single
          incident in present time. -- Patrick.]

          > This contrasts with the Elvish greeting as it finally
          > appears in _The Lord of the Rings_: _Elen síla
          > lúmenn' omentielvo_ 'a star shines on the hour
          > of our meeting' (LR:79). As you noted in message
          > #307, this contains the present continuative _síla_,
          > so that in the final text the Elvish greeting now (in
          > contrast to the earlier aorist versions) refers only
          > to the present, specific encounter: *'a star is
          > shining (now) upon the hour of (this) our meeting'.

          Or perhaps Tolkien decided that it sounds better to express the
          singularity of reference by means of the verbal tense as well? :-)

          As to the matter of future tense, I have always been under the
          impression that the "-uva" formation is originally rather optative
          than purely future. I think that several things point to that: the use
          of "future" in the "nai" formula, the difference of the future tense
          from all the other tenses and the difference between Sindarin and
          Quenya future, which jointly suggest that the future tenses are quite
          young formations (and thus presumably derived from some other
          formations), the possibility of Tolkien's taking his inspiration from
          English (will="wish"), Greek (Greek furture seems to be an
          elaboration of aorist optative) and perhaps also Latin (Latin future of
          consonantal and -i stems is similar to present subjunctive, and future
          perfect differs from perfect subjunctive only in 1st sg. form)...
          For support Cirion's Oath may be cited as well - "Vanda sina termaruva..."
          sounds rather "optative" to me (and such usage of the -uva form would
          be archaism, which fits very well the occasion).

          However, I don't see how this -uv- can be associated with the
          "privative" stem "uu" - I cannot see how the optative meaning can
          be gained by attaching a negative or privative particle to the end of
          the verb. I could imagine that the "privative" meaning arose from the
          "optative", but this seems not to be the case, both because -uva seems
          to be a late formation and because the meaning of the "uu" stem in the
          Etymologies is probably intended as the original, primitive one.

          I would agree with Pavel in dividing the "uva" into "uv-" and "-a",
          but I suggest that the "-a" is maybe rather the "-a" of imperative
          (or perhaps the both a's can be traced to common meaning - certain
          feel of intensity or anxiety, that marks the action described by the
          verb as immediately concerning the situation?). A further step would
          be to suppose a primitive verb "ub-" or "uba(a)-", in imperative
          "uba(a)-" could perhaps give the desired meaning in connexion with
          verbal stems? (Well, I don't in fact believe that - I rather suspect
          that the elves simply liked the sound and made the ending up... ;-))

          Lukas
        • atarinke <martin.blom@chello.se>
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 5, 2003
            Lukas Novak wrote:

            > This is one interpretation. Is not there another possible one, namely
            > that the aorist is used in a sense not excluding temporal determination,
            > but merely abstracting from it, not expressing it, leaving the job to
            > the "luumesse" [snip]

            to which Patrick Wynne responded:

            > Certainly this is a _possible_ alternative interpretation, though I
            > wouldn't say it's a _probable_ one, because -- again --it assumes
            > that _lúmesse_ 'on the hour' somehow inherently points to a single
            > incident in present time.

            While I agree that 'on the hour' may not necessarily point to a single
            incident in time, the hour we are talking about is specified by an
            attribute ('the hour of our meeting') which seems quite exact to me.
            And even disregarding that, Novak's point still holds, that the aorist
            is maybe used not to exclude temporal determination, but merely to not
            give any, something not unheard of in real languages (Chinese for
            instance almost never has to).

            ta-dam
            Martin Blom