Moderation: Subject lines and quotation

    Message 1 of 1 , May 29 7:54 PM
      One more moderation note (I will try, by the way, to preface all such
      moderation posts as this with "Moderation:"):

      Two of my biggest pet peeves about mailing lists are 1) excessive (i.e.,
      _lazy_) quotation of posts in replies, and 2) inaccurate subject-lines.
      Posts that violate the former will be rejected for revision. Good replies
      should quote just enough of the antecedent post(s) to give the context, but
      no more. I also ask that everyone develop the habit of giving the author and
      the post number of all posts being cited: e.g., "In post 1234 Carl Hostetter
      wrote: ...". And don't be afraid to succinctly and accurately paraphrase
      rather than quote.

      As for the second peeve, I'm not sure just now whether I can modify the
      subject-line of posts myself; but if so I will as necessary. If not,
      mislabeled posts will also be rejected for revision.

      I should also point out, on this note, that it is not the goal of this list
      to facilitate instantaneous communication. Haste is the enemy of
      scholarship. If you need instant gratification, use Elfling or AIM (that is,
      if you're not "graylisted" on Elfling like me :p). If it takes a few
      iterations and/or a few days to make a post conformant to my standards, then
      so be it.

      Remember, the goal of all these requirements is to make the posts more
      readable and the list more usable for all of us. Bear these goals in mind
      whenever you're making a post, and good practices will follow.

      | |
      | Ars longa, vita brevis. |