Re: Miqilis?

    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 22, 2002
      [Cross-posted to elfling and lambengolmor. -- ab]

      "pa2rick " wrote:

      > _miqilis_ in the 1931 poem is probably a shortened form of
      > _miqilitse_ 'little or tender kiss'. With omission of the final _-e_,
      > _miqilits-_ would become _miqilis_ -- compare _oaris_
      > 'mermaid' in QL, in which the final _-s_ is reduced from _-ts_
      > in the stem _*oarits-_ (the _ts_ of the stem is retained medially
      > in the pl. _Oaritsi_, I:227).
      >
      > The diminutive suffix _-litse_ in _miqilitse_ also occurs in QL
      > in the form _inwilitse_ 'little fairy', < _inwe_ 'one of the royal
      > house of the Eldar'. It is also possible that in _miqilis_ the final
      > element has been reinterpreted as a shortened form of _lisse_
      > 'sweet' (LR:368).

      **While this is a very likely interpretation of _miqilis_ (and I thought
      about it myself), it is possible that the segment _-lis_ is not a short
      variant of the (diminutive) suffix _-litse_, but it is the same _-lis_
      that appears in a number of Qenya words in QL. Here they are:

      _arqilis_ "desert", _arqa_ "arid, parched, dry" (32L)
      _avestalis_ "January", _avesta_ "opening, beginning, overture" (29L)
      _indolis_ "domicile", _indo_ "house" (43L)
      _Inwilis_ "Faëry", _inwe_ "1 of the royal house of the _Eldar_" (42R)
      _lattulis_ "window" (51R), cf. _latsina_ "open, level, broad" (50R)
      _loqilis_ "question" (56L, deleted)
      _maksilis_ "lordship", _maksi-_ "hold, grip, power, possession" (57R)
      _niqilis_ "fine snow", NIQI "white" (66L)
      _oinalis_ "ointment", OYO "salve, rub, oil" (71R)
      _qindelis_ "a nun", _qinde_ "womanliness, femininity" (77L, R)
      _sintilis_ "a sparkling as of crystal", _sint_ (ty) "a gleam, spark,
      glister, drop of dew, etc." (85L)
      _turinqilis_ "princess" (95L)

      It seems to be some kind of abstract suffix. Hence if we have _miqe_
      "a kiss" and _miq-_ "to kiss" (61R), than _miqilis_ might mean
      "kissing".

      Words are useless, especially sentences, they don't stand for anything,
      how could they explain how I feel? (Madonna, _Bedtime Story_)
    • pa2rick <pwynne@gvtel.com>
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 23, 2002
        Ales Bican wrote, responding to my interpretation of _miqilis_:

        > **While this is a very likely interpretation of _miqilis_ (and I
        > thought about it myself), it is possible that the segment _-lis_
        > is not a short variant of the (diminutive) suffix _-litse_, but it
        > is the same _-lis_ that appears in a number of Qenya
        > words in QL.

        After giving a list of these forms in _-lis_, Ales adds:

        > It seems to be some kind of abstract suffix. Hence if we have
        > _miqe_ "a kiss" and _miq-_ "to kiss" (61R), than _miqilis_
        > might mean "kissing".

        This is certainly a possible interpretation of _miqilis_. However,
        your assumption that _all_ of the forms ending in _-lis_ in QL
        contain "the same _-lis_", which is "some kind of abstract
        suffix", is far too general. In the list you provided, there appear to
        be at least _three_ different but homophonous suffixes _-lis_,
        each with a distinct application and probably a distinct
        etymology.

        [N.B. All forms in the following discussion are from QL unless
        otherwise noted.]

        Certainly in _maksilis (st)_ 'lordship', from noun-stem _maksi-_
        'hold, grip, power, possession', _-lis_ appears to be an abstract
        suffix; _sintilis (ss)_ 'a sparkling as of crystal', from _sinty-_
        'sparkle' might be another instance (though note the difference
        in the stem endings: _st_ vs. _ss_). The ending _-s_, _-sse_ is
        well-attested as an abstract noun ending in QL, which gives for
        example _meles (ss)_, _melesse_ 'love' (< _mel-_ 'to love'),
        and _piqis_, _piqisse_ 'grief' (< PIQI). A suffix _-lis_, _-lisse_
        may have been generalized from instances in which _-s_,
        _-sse_ was added to nouns ending in _-le_ -- for example,
        _siqilisse_ 'lamentation' < _siqile_ 'sighing, lament' < _siqi-_
        'sigh'.

        There also appears to be a suffix _-lis_ meaning 'land, place'.
        This appears in _arqilis_ 'desert' (*'arid land' < _arqa_ 'arid,
        parched, dry'), _Inwilis_ 'Faëry' (*'Inwir-land' < _inwe_ 'one of
        the royal house of the Eldar'), _indolis_ 'domicile' (*'house-
        place', i.e. *'place where one resides', < _indo_ 'house').
        Perhaps _lattulis_ 'window' belongs with this group too,
        meaning lit. *'shutter-place' < _lat (latt-)_ 'flap, small hinged
        door, lid' (or, if _lattu-_ is a dual, then *'place with a pair of
        shutters'). If this seems an odd etymology for 'window', it is
        hardly any odder than the etymology of English _window_
        itself, which originally meant 'wind's eye'! In these instances,
        the suffix _-lis_ might derive from the multiplicative root LI, ILI
        'many', whence _lie_ 'people, folk' -- note that even in QL, the
        word _nóre_ means both 'family' and 'country, nation'.

        Finally, there are instances in which _-lis_ appears to be a
        diminutive. The clearest example is _turinqilis_ 'princess',
        probably lit. *'little queen' < _turinqi_ 'queen'. Another possible
        example is _qindelis_ 'a nun', in which the diminutive ending
        acts as a particularizing or singular ending when added to the
        collective noun _qinde_ 'women as a whole'. In these forms
        (as perhaps in _miqilis_), the ending _-lis_ might be a
        reduction of _-litse_. The suffix _-litse_ itself appears to contain
        two distinct elements, the first of which is diminutive _-l_, _-il_,
        seen in forms such as _katl_, _kakil_ 'chuckle' (i.e. *'a little
        laugh' < _kaka-_ 'laugh'), _lipil_ 'a tiny glass' (< LIPI),
        _Elwenillo_ 'Littleheart' (< _elwen_ 'heart'), and probably
        _turillo_ 'prince' (*'little king') and _turille_ 'princess' (*'little
        queen'). The element _-tse_ apparently serves as a diminutive
        or hypocoristic in such forms as _melitse_ 'darling' (< _mel-_
        'to love'), _eulitse_ (< _eule_ 'lamb'), and _heritse_ term
        applied to "an Inwe" (< _heri_ 'Lady').

        -- Patrick Wynne
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 27, 2002
          I wrote:

          > > It seems to be some kind of abstract suffix. Hence if we have
          > > _miqe_ "a kiss" and _miq-_ "to kiss" (61R), than _miqilis_
          > > might mean "kissing".

          Patrick responded:

          > This is certainly a possible interpretation of _miqilis_. However,
          > your assumption that _all_ of the forms ending in _-lis_ in QL
          > contain "the same _-lis_", which is "some kind of abstract
          > suffix", is far too general.

          **I am aware of this. I should have made myself more clear, because
          I did not mean to imply that the suffix _-lis_ was always the same
          suffix in all those words.

          The message I sent to the lambengolmor list was the second version of
          my response. In the first version, which was meant to be sent to
          Elfling (that is why I also sent my reply to Elfling in the end), I
          suggested the possible connection of _miqilis_ with _miqilitse_ and
          discussed the suffix _-lis_. Since Patrick was quicker than me, I
          restricted the second version only on the suffix _-lis_. I thought
          it would be convenient to cite all instances of words ending in
          _-lis_.

          Since I saw that we may deal with several homophonous suffixes, I
          just wrote that it is some kind of abstract suffix.

          > In the list you provided, there appear to
          > be at least _three_ different but homophonous suffixes _-lis_,
          > each with a distinct application and probably a distinct
          > etymology.

          **There is yet another one: _-is_ in _niqilis_ "fine snow" (66L) which
          is from _is (iss-)_ "light snow" (43R).

          [This analysis of the form does not explain the _-l-_. It seems
          to me that the form is instead to be analyzed as _niqi-_ 'snow' + the
          (now familiar to us all!) diminutive ending _-lis_ 'fine'. Carl]

          > [N.B. All forms in the following discussion are from QL unless
          > otherwise noted.]

          **Page numbers would be welcome.

          [But not really necessary when citing (esp. a large number of) forms
          from the Lexicons, which are arranged alphabetically, with alphabetic
          cross-references. Carl]

          > Certainly in _maksilis (st)_ 'lordship', from noun-stem _maksi-_
          > 'hold, grip, power, possession', _-lis_ appears to be an abstract
          > suffix; _sintilis (ss)_ 'a sparkling as of crystal', from _sinty-_
          > 'sparkle' might be another instance (though note the difference
          > in the stem endings: _st_ vs. _ss_). The ending _-s_, _-sse_ is
          > well-attested as an abstract noun ending in QL, which gives for
          > example _meles (ss)_, _melesse_ 'love' (< _mel-_ 'to love'),
          > and _piqis_, _piqisse_ 'grief' (< PIQI).

          **We may deal with at least three abstract suffixes: _-sse_, _-sta_
          and _-ste_. The second is not very common: _piqesta_ "bitterness"
          (74L). Perhaps the same _-sta_ is found in _qindesta_ "convent"
          (77R), perhaps meaning something like "a collection/group of women/
          nuns" (see below). As regards _-ste_: _rauste_ "hunting, preying" from
          RAWA/RAVA *"run, chase" (79L, R); _seste_ "similarity" from _se_
          "as, like"; _teluste_ "extremity" from _telu_ "end, close; to finish,
          to end" (91L). All three suffixes seem to have a short variant _-s_.

          > There also appears to be a suffix _-lis_ meaning 'land, place'.
          > This appears in _arqilis_ 'desert' (*'arid land' < _arqa_ 'arid,
          > parched, dry'), _Inwilis_ 'Faëry' (*'Inwir-land' < _inwe_ 'one of
          > the royal house of the Eldar'), _indolis_ 'domicile' (*'house-
          > place', i.e. *'place where one resides', < _indo_ 'house').
          > Perhaps _lattulis_ 'window' belongs with this group too,
          > meaning lit. *'shutter-place' < _lat (latt-)_ 'flap, small hinged
          > door, lid' (or, if _lattu-_ is a dual, then *'place with a pair of
          > shutters').

          **This is certainly possible. However, I am not quite sure about
          these ones. I think it might be possible that _-lis_ in these cases
          is still the same abstract _-lis_, though the final derivatives are
          not abstracts any longer.

          _arqilis_ might be *"dryness, aridness"; it is possible that this
          abstract was used for "desert" (Czech 'poust' "desert", related to adj.
          'pusty' "waste, desert", is in fact "waste-ness, desert-ness").
          The same with _Inwilis_: it might be *"Inwe-ness", hence "Faëry".
          In case of _lattulis_, since it is related words are _lá_ "open
          space", _láta-_ "stread, extend" and _latsina_ "open, level, broad"
          (50R), it might be "open-ness, spread-ness". I like, however, the
          idea of the dual, though it does not explain homonym _lattin_ (51R).

          > If this seems an odd etymology for 'window', it is
          > hardly any odder than the etymology of English _window_
          > itself, which originally meant 'wind's eye'!

          **'wind's eye' is not at all odd. Czech 'okno' "window" is related
          to 'oko' "eye". Cf. also Sanskrit 'gavákSa-' literally meaning
          "bull's eye".

          [Most English speakers have no knowledge of the origin of "window",
          since it has no apparent formal relationship to "eye". It is indeed
          an odd fact, when first learned. Carl]

          > Finally, there are instances in which _-lis_ appears to be a
          > diminutive. The clearest example is _turinqilis_ 'princess',
          > probably lit. *'little queen' < _turinqi_ 'queen'. Another possible
          > example is _qindelis_ 'a nun', in which the diminutive ending
          > acts as a particularizing or singular ending when added to the
          > collective noun _qinde_ 'women as a whole'.

          **While I agree with the interpretation of _turinqilis_, I am not
          quite sure about _qindelis_. First of all there is the fact you
          mention, sc. that _qinde_ is a collective while _qindelis_ is just
          one nun. However, this would not such a big problem -- more problematic
          is that _qinde_ by itself probably means "nun(s)", cf. _i.aira qinde_
          "nuns" (lit. *"holy women") and _qindesta_ "convent" (*"group
          of nuns"?; 77R). Another question is why it was not derived directly
          from _qin_ "woman, female".

          > In these forms
          > (as perhaps in _miqilis_), the ending _-lis_ might be a
          > reduction of _-litse_. The suffix _-litse_ itself appears to contain
          > two distinct elements, the first of which is diminutive _-l_, _-il_,
          > seen in forms such as _katl_, _kakil_ 'chuckle' (i.e. *'a little
          > laugh' < _kaka-_ 'laugh'), _lipil_ 'a tiny glass' (< LIPI),
          > _Elwenillo_ 'Littleheart' (< _elwen_ 'heart'), and probably
          > _turillo_ 'prince' (*'little king') and _turille_ 'princess' (*'little
          > queen').

          **Seen also in _qimelle_ "little woman" (77L) and comparable to _-le_
          in _nen-le_ "brook" (Etym s.v. NEN).

          > The element _-tse_ apparently serves as a diminutive
          > or hypocoristic in such forms as _melitse_ 'darling' (< _mel-_
          > 'to love'), _eulitse_ (< _eule_ 'lamb'), and _heritse_ term
          > applied to "an Inwe" (< _heri_ 'Lady').

          **While it is possible that _-tse_ serves as a diminutive or
          hypocoristic suffix, I do not think it is the case in examples cited.
          _-tse_ in _melitse_, _heritse_ and probably even in _eulitse_ is,
          in my opinion, a feminine suffix.

          A short variant of this suffix would be seen in _aris, arits-_
          "daughter, maid", derived from _ar_ "child" (32L). Other instances
          of this may be _akairis_ "bride" (46L) and perhaps _kargaris_ "spider"
          ("she-spider"?; 45L).

          A variant of this suffix is apparently _-ss(e)_, because _akairiss-_
          alternates with _akairits-_. Another, similar, suffix is _-ste_, seen in
          _Teleste_ "she little elf" (91L).

          Hence _melitse_ might be "she-darling", _eulitse_ "she-lamb" and
          in case of _heritse_ feminineness would be multiplied (though here
          _-tse_ is most likely to be a hypocoristic suffix).

          Ales Bican

          [I see nothing necessarily or even apparently feminine about 'darling'
          (which is itself in origin a diminutive form, 'little dear', as for
          _mel(i)-_ + _-(li)tse_); nor about 'lamb'. But both are clearly
          diminutive. It is not uncommon that diminutive endings are applied to
          specifically feminine forms; but that does not make the diminutive ending
          necessarily feminine. While interjecting, I'll also note that it may be
          that the ending in all these cases is in fact _-litse_ (not _-tse_), with
          syncope of *_-lilitse_ > _-litse_ in _melitse_ and _eulitse_, and of *_-
          rilitse_ > _-ritse_in _heritse_. Carl]

          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 28, 2002
            I wrote:

            > **There is yet another one: _-is_ in _niqilis_ "fine snow" (66L) which
            > is from _is (iss-)_ "light snow" (43R).

            Carl responded:

            > [This analysis of the form does not explain the _-l-_. It seems
            > to me that the form is instead to be analyzed as _niqi-_ 'snow' + the
            > (now familiar to us all!) diminutive ending _-lis_ 'fine'. Carl]

            **However, the problem is that _niqi-_ is rather "white" than "snow".
            We have base NIQI "white" and derivatives _ninqe_ "white", _niqis (ss)_
            (_niqi-_ "white" + _is_ "(light) snow"). As regards the _-l-_, it might
            be a diminutive affix (cf. _katl_ "chuckle" Patrick mentioned) or an
            adjective marker.

            [Actually, the _root_ NIQI means 'white'; but among the derivatives of
            NIQI are many forms in _niqi-_ meaning 'snow'; while 'white' itself is
            _ninqe_. Carl]

            > > [N.B. All forms in the following discussion are from QL unless
            > > otherwise noted.]
            >
            > **Page numbers would be welcome.
            >
            > [But not really necessary when citing (esp. a large number of) forms
            > from the Lexicons, which are arranged alphabetically, with alphabetic
            > cross-references. Carl]

            **Sure, but words would be easier to locate. I had, for instance,
            problems with _Elwenillo_. And I must note, it was *not* an objection
            or complaint.

            [I would myself tend to give the page numbers, so no argument here. But
            I do understand Pat's reason for omitting them from Lexicon references,
            and wouldn't reject a post for not using them in that case. Carl]

            > **'wind's eye' is not at all odd. Czech 'okno' "window" is related
            > to 'oko' "eye". Cf. also Sanskrit 'gavákSa-' literally meaning
            > "bull's eye".
            >
            > [Most English speakers have no knowledge of the origin of "window",
            > since it has no apparent formal relationship to "eye". It is indeed
            > an odd fact, when first learned. Carl]

            **I had not either, until I read Patrick's post. What I meant is that
            it is not odd that words for "window" were connected with words for
            "eye".

            Carl commented my suggested analysis of _eulitse_ and _melitse_:

            > [I see nothing necessarily or even apparently feminine about 'darling'
            > (which is itself in origin a diminutive form, 'little dear', as for
            > _mel(i)-_ + _-(li)tse_); nor about 'lamb'. But both are clearly
            > diminutive.

            **You may be right, but since I am not sure I wrote that these words
            might be analyzed thus and thus. I would not say they are clearly
            diminutive and I thought this was your objection about David Salo's
            attitude toward _Elpino_.

            [But they _are_ diminutive: I mean, 'darling' (< 'dear-ling' =
            'little dear') and 'lamb' = 'little sheep' _are_ diminutives. Carl]

            At any rate, I see something feminine in "darling" and especially in
            _melitse_. I do not know but I would rather imagine a woman as a
            darling than a man, but sure I am a man. : ) Anyway, MELE seems
            to be somewhat connected with feminines, cf. _mella_ "girl", which is
            probably just *"beloved". And there is another thing I overlooked last
            time. There is an adjective _melitsa_ "beloved, favourite". It is
            possible that _melitse_ is derived from this adjective. In that case
            the final _e_ would more likely be a feminine marker than a
            masculine one.

            [I can only say that I more often hear women call men "darling" than
            vice versa. Carl]

            As regards _eulitse_, it is unglossed in QL, so my interpretation was
            necessarily a guess. This may not be your case, of course.

            [I followed your lead on that; I know nothing more than what is in QL.
            Carl]

            > It is not uncommon that diminutive endings are applied to
            > specifically feminine forms; but that does not make the diminutive ending
            > necessarily feminine. While interjecting, I'll also note that it may be
            > that the ending in all these cases is in fact _-litse_ (not _-tse_), with
            > syncope of *_-lilitse_ > _-litse_ in _melitse_ and _eulitse_, and of *_-
            > rilitse_ > _-ritse_in _heritse_. Carl]

            **That is certainly possible. (By the way, the change you mention here
            is normally called haplology, not syncope, if I am not mistaken, but I
            understood what you meant.)

            [Re: haplology: quite right. The term eluded me at the time, for some
            reason. Carl]

            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 3, 2003
              I wrote:

              > **However, the problem is that _niqi-_ is rather "white" than "snow".
              > We have base NIQI "white" and derivatives _ninqe_ "white", _niqis (ss)_
              > (_niqi-_ "white" + _is_ "(light) snow").

              Carl responded:

              > [Actually, the _root_ NIQI means 'white'; but among the derivatives of
              > NIQI are many forms in _niqi-_ meaning 'snow'; while 'white' itself is
              > _ninqe_. Carl]

              **Well, the whole entry goes like this:
              NIQI white
              _ninqe (i)_ white.
              _niqis (ss)_ snow.
              _niqissea_ snowy.
              _niqilis_ fine snow.
              _niqileninqe_ snow-white.
              _niqetil (d), niqetilde_ snow-cap.
              _niqisya, niqista-_ to snow. [pret. _-stine_ or _-stane_.
              _nikte-_ to whiten, cleanse. [_niqente_.

              As far as I can see the only speculative word is _niqileninqe_ "snow-
              white"; the others can be more or less easily explained as containing
              the element _niq(i)_ meaning "white".

              First of all there is _ninqe_ "white", then _niqis_, presumably _niq(i)
              + is_ "white + snow"; _niqissea_ would be an adjectival derivative
              thereof; _niqisya_ and _niqista_ seem to be verbal derivatives thereof
              (_niqis + ya/ta_). _nikte-_ seems to be _niq + te_, showing the change
              _q_ > _k_ before _t_.

              As regards _niqetil(de)_, although it is translated as "snow-cap", I
              think it is not a literal translation but rather an English idiom
              (though I was not able to find it my dictionary; I found only
              'snow-capped'). _tilde_ is translated as "point" and "tip, peak" in
              QL resp. PME (QL:92R). I believe _niqetil_ means just "white-peak"
              (cf. Tolkien's statement in _Quendi and Eldar_: "_nique_ does not
              refer to snow" (WJ:417), thought this may not be relevant, since the
              underlying base _nique_ (_niku-_) was reinterpreted).

              So except for the dubious _niqilis_ we are left with _niqileninqe_
              "snow-white". I think it is safe to say that the segment _ninqe_ is
              the same as _ninqe_ "white". If the translation "snow-white" is
              (which may not be the case, though) a literal one, then _niqele-_
              would be "snow". In that case it might be just "whiteness", sc.
              "snow", if _-le_ is an abstract suffix.

              This is my view and it may not be the best one. I am eager to see
              yours (Carl's), and for that matter any other else's.

              [My own view is that _niqi-_ does in fact mean 'snow', as a concrete
              noun derived ultimately from, but not sharing precisely the same meaning
              as, the primitive root NIQI 'white' with abstract meaning. This view, in
              my opinion, more succinctly explains the derivative given, and avoid the
              gymnastics required to develop an explanation for such words as
              _niqileniqe_ 'snow-white' and _niqetilde_ 'snow-cap' if one assumes that
              the reflex _niqi-_ must have the same meaning as the root. Carl]

              > **Sure, but words would be easier to locate. I had, for instance,
              > problems with _Elwenillo_. And I must note, it was *not* an objection
              > or complaint.
              >
              > [I would myself tend to give the page numbers, so no argument here. But
              > I do understand Pat's reason for omitting them from Lexicon references,
              > and wouldn't reject a post for not using them in that case. Carl]

              **I understand it, too. As I said, it was not any complaint or
              objection. I think I should have formulated it otherwise, since my aim
              was just to ask for page numbers, since it would ease my searching.
              And I certainly did not want to imply that posts without references
              should be rejected (I am against rejecting, anyway).

              > **You may be right, but since I am not sure I wrote that these words
              > might be analyzed thus and thus. I would not say they are clearly
              > diminutive and I thought this was your objection about David Salo's
              > attitude toward _Elpino_.
              >
              > [But they _are_ diminutive: I mean, 'darling' (< 'dear-ling' =
              > 'little dear') and 'lamb' = 'little sheep' _are_ diminutives. Carl]

              **I see: you meant the English words. We misunderstood. However,
              I would not call 'lamb' a diminutive, just as I would not call "child"
              a diminutive, because it is 'little human'.

              Another problem is that it is _eule_ that means "lamb"; _eulitse_
              would be then "little lamb" if it was a diminutive.

              It must be pointed out that there is a gap is my theory that _eulitse_
              is a feminine form: if it is, why its masculine counterpart was not
              mentioned? One possible answer may be that _eule_ covers both
              "he-lamb" and "lamb in general". Another answer may be that the
              entry EWE is not finished or written hastily. Are there any indications
              of this in Tolkien's manuscript?

              [I'll check this when I get a chance, and let you know. Carl]

              > As regards _eulitse_, it is unglossed in QL, so my interpretation was
              > necessarily a guess. This may not be your case, of course.
              >
              > [I followed your lead on that; I know nothing more than what is in QL.
              > Carl]

              **Ok, though I find it strange that Tolkien did not write anything which
              could shed more light on _eulitse_.