Re:_(o)losse_

    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 3, 2002
      On Dienstag, Dezember 3, 2002, at 03:55 Uhr, Hans Georg Lundahl wrote:

      [Quoting of nearly the whole of the original post deleted by the
      moderator. DO NOT DO THIS! CFH]

      > This presupposes that there are no elisions in Quenya poems, doesn't
      > it? Perhaps there aren't. Just checking and asking.
      >
      > [-- Hans Georg Lundahl]

      Elisions can be found e.g. in V:72 "...kár(e) eldain..." or "...ír(e)
      ilqa...", the elision being noted by a dot underneath the respective
      vowel. Long vowels seem to block it. Monosyllabics are seemingly not
      affected and do not affect.

      David Kiltz
    • Hans Georg Lundahl
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 4, 2002
        David Kiltz <dkiltz@...> wrote:

        "Elisions can be found e.g. in V:72 "...kár(e) eldain..." or "...ír(e)
        ilqa...", the elision being noted by a dot underneath the respective
        vowel. Long vowels seem to block it. Monosyllabics are seemingly not
        affected and do not affect."

        Which would give us:

        _Oloss'íre losse ve_ sSSsSss/sSssSss/ssSsSss

        _Oloss'íre sílala_ sSSsSss/sSssSss/ssSsSss

        But that was not the rhythm or metre of the "translation", was it?

        Hans Georg Lundahl

        [In general, elision is not mandatory. Even if we suppose that the
        elisions you propose would in fact occur in normal speech, there is
        no reason to think they could not be avoided in poetry for metrical
        purposes. CFH]