Re:_(o)losse_

  • Hans Georg Lundahl
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 3, 2002
      Petri Tikka <kari.j.tikka@...> wrote:

      "Could the original have gone something like *_Olosse íre losse ve_ or
      *_Olosse íre sílala_ (cf. _íre_ 'when' V:72, _ve_ 'as, like' R:66,
      _sílala_'shining' MC:214)? The Westron version would be a poetic
      paraphrase."

      _Olosse íre losse ve_

      metre: sSsSsSss (s==unaccented syllable, S=¬cented syllable)

      _Olosse íre sílala_

      metre: sSsSsSss

      This presupposes that there are no elisions in Quenya poems, doesn't
      it? Perhaps there aren't. Just checking and asking.

      [-- Hans Georg Lundahl]

      [A reminder to our members to please sign your posts. Proudly. CFH]
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 3, 2002
        On Dienstag, Dezember 3, 2002, at 03:55 Uhr, Hans Georg Lundahl wrote:

        [Quoting of nearly the whole of the original post deleted by the
        moderator. DO NOT DO THIS! CFH]

        > This presupposes that there are no elisions in Quenya poems, doesn't
        > it? Perhaps there aren't. Just checking and asking.
        >
        > [-- Hans Georg Lundahl]

        Elisions can be found e.g. in V:72 "...kár(e) eldain..." or "...ír(e)
        ilqa...", the elision being noted by a dot underneath the respective
        vowel. Long vowels seem to block it. Monosyllabics are seemingly not
        affected and do not affect.

        David Kiltz
      • Hans Georg Lundahl
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 4, 2002
          David Kiltz <dkiltz@...> wrote:

          "Elisions can be found e.g. in V:72 "...kár(e) eldain..." or "...ír(e)
          ilqa...", the elision being noted by a dot underneath the respective
          vowel. Long vowels seem to block it. Monosyllabics are seemingly not
          affected and do not affect."

          Which would give us:

          _Oloss'íre losse ve_ sSSsSss/sSssSss/ssSsSss

          _Oloss'íre sílala_ sSSsSss/sSssSss/ssSsSss

          But that was not the rhythm or metre of the "translation", was it?

          Hans Georg Lundahl

          [In general, elision is not mandatory. Even if we suppose that the
          elisions you propose would in fact occur in normal speech, there is
          no reason to think they could not be avoided in poetry for metrical
          purposes. CFH]