yaime = desiderative?

  • Vicente Velasco
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 9, 2002
      In VT43:33, it was proposed that the noun _yaime_
      'wailing' (MC:223) is a derivative of the base YAMA
      'call' (PE12:105) with intrusion of _i_ into the stem.
      This would imply, in my opinion, that it would be an
      intensive form of YAMA, similar in nature to a-infixed
      forms such as _maika_ (from MIK), _taura_ and
      _rauko_. However, if I read Quendi and Eldar right
      (VT39:11, Note 7) those forms with i-infixion are
      actually of a "desiderative" nature, such as _maita_
      or _soika_ or _m´┐Żna-_ [< _*meinaa-_].

      Therefore, my question is, if the etymology of _yaime_
      is correct (based on YAMA), would it then follow that
      it was originally a desiderative form?
      BTW, I have previously assumed that _yaime_ was a
      derivative of the stem YAY- in the Etymologies (V:400).

      -- Vicente Velasco

      [It is _not_ proposed in VT 43 that _yaime_ 'wailing'
      is a derivative of the base YAMA 'call'. It is proposed
      that _hyame_ 'pray' in AM III, IV is derived from an
      s-prefixed form of a verb-stem _*yam-_, and that this
      stem is probably the later equivalent of YAMA 'call'
      in QL. All that is said of _yaime_ is this: "Note also
      the noun _yaime_ 'wailing' (MC:223)." Undoubtedly
      _yaime_ derives, as you have supposed, from
      YAY- 'mock' in the _Etymologies_, whence also
      Q _yaiwe_ 'mocking, scorn'; a desiderative formation
      by i-infixion from YAMA seems extremely unlikely. It
      seems possible that the roots YAY- 'mock', YAM- 'call',
      and YAG- 'yawn, gape' (V:400) are all related as
      onomatopoeic formations recalling a mouth opened
      wide (to yawn or call out or mock). -- Patrick Wynne]]