Re: Quenya suffix _-nde_

  • Lukas Novak
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 6, 2002
      Petri Tikka listed a number of nouns in _-nde_; see:

      Would _loende_ also fit in?

      Lukas
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 8, 2002
        On Monday, October 7, 2002, at 01:00 AM, Lukas Novak wrote:

        > Petri Tikka listed a number of nouns in _-nde_; see:

        > Would _loende_ also fit in?

        I think that is rather _loa_ + _ende_ "middle of the (solar) year".

        Cf. LR:(part 3)486 "The first day [of the year "_loa_"] was called
        _yestare_, the middle day (183rd) _loende_, and the last day _mettare_".
        Two _enderi_ "middle days" were substituted at regular intervals. I
        think that makes it clear that we have words containing _ende_ "middle"
        here.

        Pozdravy,

        David

        [Petri's list of nouns in _-nde_ also includes _Therinde_ 'Needlewoman'
        (XII:333), in which _-inde_ is perhaps more likely a feminine counter-
        part of the masculine agentive _-indo_, as in _Cormacolindor_ 'Ring-
        bearers' (LR:932). If this is the case, then _*ther-_ would be a verbal
        stem, probably meaning 'sew, embroider'. This in turn could be related
        to the root TER- (extended form TERES-) 'pierce', whence Q. _tere_,
        _ter_ 'through', so that THER- literally = *'pierce through with a needle'.
        The _Etymologies_ gives an example of related roots in T- and TH-:
        THIN- (whence Q. _sinde_ 'grey') and TIN- 'sparkle, emit slender (silver,
        pale) beams', the latter said to be a "variant of (?) and in any case af-
        fected by THIN". -- Patrick Wynne]