Q. _-uva_ & future tense (was Re: "Subjunctive")

  • Lukas Novak
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 6, 2002
      David Kiltz wrote:

      DK> It would be interesting to see whether the _-uva_ forms are a "pure"
      DK> future tense or rather some kind of prospective.

      I have been having this impression for already a long time. More
      specifically, I suspect that the -uva formation is originally
      prospective/optative and only one of its usages evolved into pure
      future. I imagine that Tolkien might have been inspired by the origin
      of Greek future tense or English usage of the auxiliary "will" -
      originally a modal verb.

      Lukas