Numbers

  • Josu Gómez
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 6, 2002
      > geffylau_ 'sixteen horses'. It is true that _mil_ 'thousand' requirwes
      > the _o_ + plural construction, but why would Sindarin follow Welsh
      > patterns?

      Until we have actual examples of numbers as adjectives (a real text
      with _neldë coa/coar_ inside, for example), we can't provide a fruitful
      theory about the plurality of that number-noun formula. The proper
      nouns having a number can act differently.

      Anyway, in many languages in which numbers manage nouns in indefinite
      case (as in Basque, where we have _hiru etxe_ ("three-house-ind.") and
      not **_hiru etxeak_ ("three-houses-pl.")), when numbers have noun
      function, they act also as indefinite (for example, Basque genitive of
      the numbers, _hiruren_, "three-ind.-of", and not **_hiruen_,
      "three-pl.-of".

      But Quenya number-pronouns act as plural; so, we have _Neldion_ (day
      of the Three younger Gods), a clear plural genitive, and not *_Neldeo_,
      as, in my opinion, we'd expect if numbers were indefinite.

      Eleder

      ---
      Josu

      "I amar prestar aen