Re: Numerals as Adjectives in Sindarin

  • Hans
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 4, 2002
      --- In lambengolmor@y..., "Pavel Iosad" <pavel_iosad@m...> wrote:

      > For instance, those Slavic languages that have a genitive usually employ
      > the genitive (plural though) after numerals like a thousand (though
      > sometimes the the gen.sg. after small numbers): cf. Russian _tys'acha
      > pescher_ 'thousand caves' (where _peschera_ 'cave' is in the gen.pl.)
      > and _tri peschery_ 'three caves' (gen.pl.)

      Of course, you meant "gen. sg." here (peschery). It's really interesting
      that Russian uses the genitive singular for small numbers, and it's still
      more interesting that the language has a precise notion of "small":2--4.
      The use of genitive plural starts with 5 (so thousand is on the safe side
      :-). Genitive itself is not surprising, naturally (partitive genitive).

      Hans
    • Lukas Novak
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 5, 2002
        > --- In lambengolmor@y..., "Pavel Iosad" <pavel_iosad@m...> wrote:

        >> _tri peschery_ 'three caves' (gen.pl.)

        > Of course, you meant "gen. sg." here (peschery).

        Err, isn't it rather nom. pl. ?

        A: Philosophy is the making of significant distinctions.
        B: Why isn't that just taxonomy?
        A: Your question proves my point.
        (Philip Davis)

        [Again, let's bring this back to Tolkien. Also, please sign your posts.
        And if all you have to submit is a correction like the above, especially
        one not involving Tolkien's languages, please point them out to the
        author privately, and let the author make any necessary correction to
        the list. I've been very pleased with the very high "signal-to-noise"
        ratio of this list, and I intend to maintain it. CFH]