Re: [Lambengolmor] Re: "Subjunctive"

  • Ben Echols
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 3, 2002
      Hans wrote:

      H> If you want to see a working system with one conditional and two
      H> subjunctives, look at Italian.

      Another example is Spanish. It has one conditional verb tense and two
      subjunctives.

      Ben Echols
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 4, 2002
        On Thursday, October 3, 2002, at 10:03 PM, Ben Echols wrote:

        > Hans wrote:
        >
        > H> If you want to see a working system with one conditional and two
        > H> subjunctives, look at Italian.
        >
        > Another example is Spanish. It has one conditional verb tense and two
        > subjunctives.

        Ben, I'm not sure what you mean by "one conditional" and "two
        subjunctives". Spanish (like every West-Romanic language,
        including, e.g. French) has a category "subjunctive" and one
        "conditional". Both occur in two forms:

        Conditional 1) compraría
        Conditional 2) habría comprado

        Subjunctive 1) (que) compre
        Subjunctive 2) comprara or comprase (note: the first goes back to the
        Latin pluperfect and is also sometimes used as such, especially in
        South America).

        Germanic languages mostly employ the subjunctive for conditionals often
        with an extra auxiliary (e.g. English _would_ or German_würde_).
        So, for conditionals, where they are distinguished from subjunctives,
        we see periphrastic or agglutinative formations. Note that the Romanic
        languages' conditional is really a periphrastic formation (e.g.
        comparare habebam etc.).

        No explicit marker for the conditional is needed in Quenya. Cf.
        VT42:33, in the bottom most paragraph, starting from _lá karita i
        hamil..._.

        David Kiltz
      • Hans
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 4, 2002
          [OK, folks, let's bring this back to Tolkien's languages. CFH]

          --- In lambengolmor@y..., David Kiltz <dkiltz@g...> wrote:

          > Germanic languages mostly employ the subjunctive for conditionals often
          > with an extra auxiliary (e.g. English _would_ or German_würde_).

          I'm sorry, David, but I have to disagree. The German "würde" is a
          modern development, following the general tendency of replacement of
          the older, strong inflections by analytical (or, as you call it,
          periphrastic) constructions. German still has two genuine subjunctives
          (I'm afraid they'll vanish within the next hundred years, though), "er
          komme/ er käme" in the case of the verb "to come". Most of the forms
          of subjunctive I are very similar to forms of indicative present
          tense, ok. But some are different, and it's interesting that one of
          the differences has parallels in other languages: "be it so" is "so
          sei es" in German, different from indicative "so ist es". In Italian,
          you would use "sia" for "sei".

          > Note that the Romanic languages' conditional is really a periphrastic
          > formation (e.g. comparare habebam etc.).

          That's not true for Italian. The conditional is much used to express
          wishes politely (not unlike German or English or some other languages!),
          but forms like "vorrai" (I would) are real inflections, not periphrastic
          constructions or agglutinations.

          > No explicit marker for the conditional is needed in Quenya.

          That's true, unfortunately. A language lacking a word for "if"
          certainly doesn't need a conditional.

          Hans
        • Ben Echols
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 4, 2002
            [I'm letting this through, but in general, follow-up messages of this
            sort, basically simply acknowledging a correction, will not be accepted
            on this list. Any such response should be made in conjunction with
            offering new information on the question at hand. Otherwise, make your
            acknowledgments privately. CFH]

            I never learned the other conditional. I am sorry for the mistake, I know
            about the two different ways to do subjunctive. I am not a native speaker
            of spanish, however I have been taking spanish classes for 4 years and
            have been to spanish countries. But thanks for the information, you learn
            something new everyday. :)

            Ben Echols
          • Hans
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 4, 2002
              --- In lambengolmor@y..., "Hans" <gentlebeldin@h...> wrote:
              > [OK, folks, let's bring this back to Tolkien's languages. CFH]

              Er... yeah, I'm afraid this is a well-deserved rebuke.

              [I wouldn't call it a "rebuke", just a reminder that posts to this list
              are, according to the guidelines, supposed to deal in some manner with
              Tolkien's languages. That by no means excludes discussion of grammatical
              features of other languages for purposes of comparison or illustration
              or even speculation; but each such discussion should touch on Tolkien's
              languages at some point. When we start _debating_ the grammatical
              features of other languages, and comparing them to one another, we're
              drifting off course. CFH]

              Quenya may not have a conditional, but it's well known that JRRT thought
              of a subjunctive once. Now the English subjunctive II is almost identical
              with forms of past tense, and the German forms are close, too (though
              with umlaut). Interestingly, the Quenya word glossed as a subjunctive
              ("should flow", IX:247) coincides with an (augmentless) perfect,
              "ullier", forms usually translated by JRRT with past tense. Of course,
              that's one of the cases of later reinterpretations. In "Lost Road",
              the word "ullier" was glossed "poured" (V:51). Nonetheless, there
              can't be much doubt JRRT thought of a subjunctive later: the Adunaic
              forms in the Notion Club Papers were meant to be translations of the
              "Avallonian" ones, and the respective word _du-phursâ_ is glossed
              "so-as-to-gush" (IX:247, again), and that's certainly not an
              indicative mood.

              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 6, 2002
                -I'm sorry if this is drifting away from Quenya but my response will
                (hopefully) set some things straight. This will ultimately be
                beneficial for the discussion of the Quenya forms.

                On Friday, October 4, 2002, at 09:54 PM, Hans wrote:

                > --- In lambengolmor@y..., David Kiltz <dkiltz@g...> wrote:
                >
                >> Germanic languages mostly employ the subjunctive for conditionals
                >> often with an extra auxiliary (e.g. English _would_ or German_würde_).
                >
                > I'm sorry, David, but I have to disagree. The German "würde" is a
                > modern development, following the general tendency of replacement of
                > the older, strong inflections by analytical (or, as you call it,
                > periphrastic) constructions. German still has two genuine subjunctives,
                > "er komme/ er käme" in the case of the verb "to come".
                <snip>

                Hans, but that's exactly what I said. Germanic languages (such as
                German, even Modern German ;-) do use the subjunctive. In addition,
                formations with an auxiliary arise. (Certainly with the idea of
                disambiguating). I don't see how this is not "Germanic" although it is
                a younger formation (which I never denied).

                >> Note that the Romanic languages' conditional is really a periphrastic
                >> formation (e.g. comparare habebam etc.).
                >
                > That's not true for Italian. The conditional is much used to express
                > wishes politely (not unlike German or English or some other
                > languages!), but forms like "vorrai" (I would) are real inflections,
                > not periphrastic constructions or agglutinations.

                1) Your analysis of the form is factually wrong. Even Italian _vorrai_
                is ultimately _velle_ (or rather Proto-Romanic _volere_) + habui. The
                only difference between Italian and Spanish is that Italian uses the
                perfect as second part, Spanish the imperfect. By "really" I meant
                "originally".

                2) The semantics are irrelevant to the question of periphrasis or not.
                I never said they weren't employed like that.

                >> No explicit marker for the conditional is needed in Quenya.
                >
                > That's true, unfortunately. A language lacking a word for "if"
                > certainly doesn't need a conditional.

                Well, Tolkien writes that "if this uncertainty [i.e. a conditional
                proposition for the future] is emphasized Quenya can say _nauva_ "will
                be". So, Quenya does not require a specific marker if the semantics of
                the sentence are clear.

                It would be interesting to see whether the _-uva_ forms are a "pure"
                future tense or rather some kind of prospective.

                David
              • Lukas Novak
                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 6, 2002
                  David Kiltz wrote:

                  DK> It would be interesting to see whether the _-uva_ forms are a "pure"
                  DK> future tense or rather some kind of prospective.

                  I have been having this impression for already a long time. More
                  specifically, I suspect that the -uva formation is originally
                  prospective/optative and only one of its usages evolved into pure
                  future. I imagine that Tolkien might have been inspired by the origin
                  of Greek future tense or English usage of the auxiliary "will" -
                  originally a modal verb.

                  Lukas