Q verbal intensive prefix a-

  • Boris Shapiro
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 16, 2002
      Aiya!

      Do you have any ideas for a Quenya verbal intensive prefix? There
      used to be _a-_ in QL, but I do not remember whether it occurs in
      later sources. Perhaps it could be reasonable enough even in later
      stages, because of the possible connection with the PE intensive
      stem variations. Any ideas?

      Namaarie! S.Y., Elenhil Laiquendo [Boris Shapiro]

      : eressea, eldamar i laa fiirimo tuvitas pole :
    • Hans
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 16, 2002
        --- In lambengolmor@y..., Boris Shapiro <elenhil@p...> wrote:

        > Do you have any ideas for a Quenya verbal intensive prefix? There
        > used to be _a-_ in QL, but I do not remember whether it occurs in
        > later sources. Perhaps it could be reasonable enough even in later
        > stages, because of the possible connection with the PE intensive
        > stem variations. Any ideas?

        There are traces of a-infixion in Etymologies and other sources: root
        MIL-IK with the derivation _maile_ "lust" (V:415), containing also the
        (later obviously abandoned) derivation of _Melko_ frorm _*Mailikô_,
        and the etymology of _maeg_ via the 'strong adjective' _*maikâ_
        "sharp, penetrating" from the root _mik_ "pierce" (IX:337).
        In both cases, an intensification was intended, as the 'strong' in the
        latter example indicates explicitly. Maybe those are the stem
        variations Boris had in mind.

        There's at least one example pointing at _a_ as a verbal prefix: under
        root SUK- in Etymologies, we find the Sindarin verb _sogo_ "drink",
        and a past tense form _asogant_ is given (V:434).
        However, it seems that JRRT in Etymologies was inclined towards the
        augment, i.e. the reduplication of the stem vowel, already: the entry
        I- says "intensive prefix where i is base vowel" (V:401).
        In later sources, examples abound. Of course, this gives the same
        result when the _sundóma_ is _a_, and that's frequent.

        Hans
      • pa2rick
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 16, 2002
          --- In lambengolmor@y..., "Hans" <gentlebeldin@h...> wrote:

          > There are traces of a-infixion in Etymologies and other sources:
          > root MIL-IK with the derivation _maile_ "lust" (V:415), containing
          > also the (later obviously abandoned) derivation of _Melko_
          > frorm _*Mailikô_, and the etymology of _maeg_ via the 'strong
          > adjective' _*maikâ_ "sharp, penetrating" from the root _mik_
          > "pierce" (IX:337). In both cases, an intensification was intended,
          > as the 'strong' in the latter example indicates explicitly. Maybe
          > those are the stem variations Boris had in mind.

          The excerpt from Appendix D to "Quendi and Eldar" published
          in VT 39 discusses just this process of a-infixion, which it also
          calls "vocalic strengthening" (p.11 Note 7), whereby _u_ > _au_
          and _i_ > _ai_. Particularly relevant to Hans's comments is the
          following passage (p. 10):

          "The examples of _ai_, _au_ of this origin are not very numerous.
          They were mostly "intensive", as in _rauko_ "very terrible creature"
          (*RUK); _taura_ "very mighty, vast, of unmeasured might or size"
          (*TUR). Some were "continuative", as in _Vaire_ "Ever-weaving"
          (*WIR)."

          Boris's search for an intensive verbal _prefix_ puts me in mind
          of _an-_ in _ancalima_ 'exceedingly bright', which Tolkien
          says consisted of _an-_ "superlative or intensive prefix" +
          _kalima_ 'shining brilliant' (L:278-79), though _ancalima_ is,
          of course, an adjective rather than a verb.

          -- Patrick Wynne
        • Hans
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 16, 2002
            --- In lambengolmor@y..., "pa2rick" <pwynne@g...> wrote:

            > The excerpt from Appendix D to "Quendi and Eldar" published
            > in VT 39 discusses just this process of a-infixion, which it also
            > calls "vocalic strengthening" (p.11 Note 7)

            Ah, good that VT39 is among the five back issues I ordered last
            week! :-)

            I remembered one more instance of _au_ from a-infixion: _saura_
            (foul, evil-smelling, putrid) from THUS-, V:439.

            And I found a more direct hint at an a-prefix: _atalante_ is derived
            from TALÁT. It could be an augment, but the general idea wasn't fully
            formed yet at that time, I think. Indeed, the entry in Etymologies
            says specifically "Atalante (a-prefix==complete)".

            Again, this doesn't seem to be limited to verbs, and "complete"
            doesn't contradict the interpretation "exceedingly" of _an-_.
            Maybe that's closer to what Boris was looking for.

            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 17, 2002
              In Sindarin, there is _ aníra ‘(he) desires’ (IX:128–29), perhaps more
              literally _a-níra_ *'(he) greatly desires' (cf. _níra_ n. ‘will, as a
              potential or faculty’, VT39:30; though it is possible that it is
              instead _an-íra_, with the same literal meaning; cf. the base ID- ‘heart,
              desire, wish’, V:361).

              Carl