N. _iuitha_ 'enjoy'/*'employ' (was Re: Vocalizations in Noldorin/Sindarin)

    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 14, 2002
      On Samstag, September 14, 2002, at 05:02 Uhr, Hans Georg Lundahl [230]
      wrote:

      > Tchitrec@... skrev:
      >>
      >> CE _*juktâ-_ > ON _*juktha-_ > _*juchþa-_ > N _juiþa-_ , written
      >> _iuitha-_ "to employ [C. Tolkien hesitatingly reads "enjoy", but the
      >> root is said to mean "employ, use"]"(V:400 root YUK)
      >
      > employ vs enjoy, cp latin uti vs frui, on whose relations in meaning
      > see further St Augustine (who is basically saying we must employ
      > earthly life in order later to enjoy God) whom Tolkien would certainly
      > have read.

      This may be relevant in this context:

      "To employ, use; enjoy" is exactly the range of meaning the Germanic
      verb *bruk- (Goth. _brukjan_, OE _brucan_, OHG _bruhhan_[all "u"s are
      long]) has. It is derived from the same root as Latin _frui_, frux and
      fructus. The primary meaning seems to have been "take in food, use
      food", hence "use in general" and "enjoy".

      Given the fact that J.R.R. Tolkien was of course intimately acquainted
      with Germanic, it is very likely we have a parallel development here.
      Indeed, similarity of semantic fields, as well as resemblances in
      grammar and word shape between Elvish and Germanic are manifold.