Re: [Lambengolmor] Vocalizations in Noldorin/Sindarin

  • Hans Georg Lundahl
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 14, 2002
      Tchitrec@... skrev:

      CE _*juktâ-_ > ON _*juktha-_ > _*juchþa-_ > N _juiþa-_ , written _iuitha-_
      "to employ [C. Tolkien hesitatingly reads "enjoy", but the root is said
      to mean "employ, use"]"(V:400 root YUK)

      employ vs enjoy, cp latin uti vs frui, on whose relations in meaning see further St Augustine (who is basically saying we must employ earthly life in order later to enjoy God) whom Tolkien would certainly have read.

      Hence a root meaning employ could yield a derivative meaning enjoy by a shift of meaning easily understood. Or Tolkien could have changed his mind about what the root meant by an association as easily understood.

      Hans Georg Lundahl

      Gratis e-mail resten av livet på: www.yahoo.se/mail
      Busenkelt!

      [One of the meanings of "enjoy" is "to have the use or benefit of". Carl]
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 14, 2002
        On Samstag, September 14, 2002, at 05:02 Uhr, Hans Georg Lundahl [230]
        wrote:

        > Tchitrec@... skrev:
        >>
        >> CE _*juktâ-_ > ON _*juktha-_ > _*juchþa-_ > N _juiþa-_ , written
        >> _iuitha-_ "to employ [C. Tolkien hesitatingly reads "enjoy", but the
        >> root is said to mean "employ, use"]"(V:400 root YUK)
        >
        > employ vs enjoy, cp latin uti vs frui, on whose relations in meaning
        > see further St Augustine (who is basically saying we must employ
        > earthly life in order later to enjoy God) whom Tolkien would certainly
        > have read.

        This may be relevant in this context:

        "To employ, use; enjoy" is exactly the range of meaning the Germanic
        verb *bruk- (Goth. _brukjan_, OE _brucan_, OHG _bruhhan_[all "u"s are
        long]) has. It is derived from the same root as Latin _frui_, frux and
        fructus. The primary meaning seems to have been "take in food, use
        food", hence "use in general" and "enjoy".

        Given the fact that J.R.R. Tolkien was of course intimately acquainted
        with Germanic, it is very likely we have a parallel development here.
        Indeed, similarity of semantic fields, as well as resemblances in
        grammar and word shape between Elvish and Germanic are manifold.