VT erratum: VT44:35 _apa_ >> _apo_

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 6, 2002
      [Javier Lorenzo writes: ]

      I write to inform you about a possible typo in the last issue of
      _Vinyar Tengwar_ #44. It's stated in the last paragraph on page 35:

      "The preposition _tenna_ 'up to, as far as' (UT:317 n. 43) was deleted,
      and _apa_ was emended to _pa_"

      Though we are informed that this form _apa_ is found in other of
      Tolkien's papers (VT44:26, 36), the text presented in the analysis of
      the _Gloria in Excelsis Deo_ in Quenya (called "Text AF I", p. 33)
      gives the form _apo_, and so is also cited in the first sentence of the
      very same paragraph on page 35: "The phrase as first written was _tenna
      yéni apo yéni_".

      Should we read, then, "and _apo_ was emended to _pa_" instead of _apa_?

      Yours,

      Javier Lorenzo

      [Arden Smith replies:]

      You are quite correct: I should have written _apo_ rather than _apa_.
      I added this paragraph in the course of the proofreading process, so my
      error slipped through unnoticed by the review panel.