on Q _apa_

  • Boris Shapiro
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 6, 2002
      Aiya!

      I was much delighted to learn from the last VT issue about a
      useful Quenya preposition:

      _apa_ "touching, against", from the root *(A)PA "touch (not with
      fingers, but of contact of surfaces, esp. vertical surface)"

      I recalled Q _Apanoonar_ "the After-born" from S:122, and XI:387
      gives S _aphad-_ 'follow' < *_ap-pata_ 'walk behind, on a track or
      path'. Both obviously employ the same preposition *_ap(a)_.

      The question is how are _apa_ from VT and _*ap(a)_ from XI
      related?

      The answer comes from QL _ar_ (_as-_) "to, against, next, on
      (wall)" and GL _hath-_ "close to, by; beside; touching",
      connecting both meanings. Both "apa's" probably share a common
      meaning "touching, close to, against, beside, next, after" and
      thus represent a single preposition whose concept remained
      throughout the development of Quenya.

      Now the question is of the nature of _#epe-_ "*after" in Q
      _epesse_ "after-name". Could it be not _epe_ but _apa_ + _esse_ >
      *_apesse > _epesse_ since VT42:32 has _epe_ "before" (actually,
      **"after", an error corrected in VT44) of the contrary meaning?

      Namaarie! S.Y., Elenhil Laiquendo [Boris Shapiro]

      [The reading _epesse_ 'after-name' (XII:339) cannot be an editorial
      misreading of _**apesse_, since the text in which it occurs, _The
      Shibboleth of Feanor_, is a typescript, and the word _epesse_
      appears as such several times throughout that essay. Elements
      meaning 'before' and 'after' in Elvish have a disconcerting tendency
      to reverse their meaning depending on context; with _apa-_ as 'after'
      in _Apan�nar_ 'the After-born', compare _apa-_ as 'fore-' in _apacenye_
      'foresight' (X:216). QL also gives a root N�, NOWO, NONO that means
      both 'ahead, in front' and 'after, of time'. -- Patrick Wynne]

      : ande nar i falmar falasse meetima lantala :
    • Paul Svensson
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 6, 2002
        On Fri, 6 Sep 2002, Patrick Wynne wrote:

        >[...] QL also gives a root NÓ, NOWO, NONO that means
        >both 'ahead, in front' and 'after, of time'.

        This same apparent contradiction appears in some native American languages,
        but is simply a different view on time. Since you can see what's in front
        of you, but not behind you, the future, that you can't see, must be behind
        you, and the past, that you can see, in front of you.

        /Paul