Re: [Lambengolmor] Re: Initial _ly-_ and enclitics

    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 5, 2002
      Hans commented on Petri Tikka's suggestion that _lyenna_
      may be an elided form of _elyenna_:

      > In XI:363 (it's the Harper Collins paperback) we read about the
      > "de/le as pronominal elements in the 2nd person". This explains the
      > Sindarin pronoun _dîn_, btw.
      >
      > We also read "dj became ly medially in Quenya". I don't think the
      > "medially" was stressed without any need: Initial dj (or DY in the
      > Etymologies) did NOT change into _ly_! (cf. V:394, DYEL-, Q _yelma_)
      > Since the word _lyenna_ obviously is pronominal 2nd person, the
      > _dj_>_ly_ must have been medial, after some elided vowel, indeed.

      **This does not, however, necessarily mean that _ly_ in _lyenna_
      has to be medial. As you cited, there is a variantion between de/le
      in the 2nd person and _lyenna_ may well be from the element le,
      not de. I am not sure where Tolkien intended the variant de to be
      realized, because both pronominal suffixes _-l_ and _-le_ (e.g.
      in _óle_, see VT43:29) seem to be from le. Perhaps he wanted
      to explain _-lda_ "your" (in Aragorn's farewell _Arwen vanimalda,
      namárie!_, LotR 1st ed.).

      Mi dissero che a quell'epoca per quindici giorni e quindici notti