Rohirian

  • Jérémie Knuesel
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 25, 2002
      Did Tolkien use a name more specific than "the language of the Rohirrim" to
      refer to this tongue? The word 'Rohirric' commonly used doesn't seem to
      appear in any Tolkien text, and I could not find the word 'Rohirian' in
      "The Rivers and Beacon-hills of Gondor" in VT42, though I read somewhere
      that it was.

      Namárie,

      Jérémie K.

      [I've done some searching and can find no occurrence of the term
      "Rohirric" in Tolkien's writings. (Perhaps someone else will have better
      luck?) Very interesting! The terms I have been able to find are "the
      language of Rohan", "Rohan" (in contrast with "Hobbit") in various places
      in _The Rivers and Beacon-hills of Gondor_, and, once in the same essay,
      "Rohanese" (VT42:8; the term "Rohirian" does not occur in that text). Carl]
    • Arden R. Smith
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 25, 2002
        I wonder who first used the term "Rohirric." To the best of my
        knowledge, the earliest attestation is in "The One Inconsistency in
        LotR" by Robert Foster, _Parma Eldalamberon_ #1 (Autumn 1971), p. 9.

        Arden R. Smith erilaz@...

        --Lewis Carroll,
        _Through the Looking-glass_
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 5, 2002
          Carl F. Hostetter wrote:

          > I'm not sure what the proper representation of a palatalized l is in
          > the IPA, but it is apparently not the turned y. Thanks for clarifying
          > the matter.

          **I think it would be an _l_ with a small superscript _j_. Similarly,
          labialization would be represented with a superscript _w_ and
          aspiration with a superscript _h_.

          Mi dissero che a quell'epoca per quindici giorni e quindici notti