Moderation and editorial (was Re: Announcing a new list: Lambengolmor)

    Message 1 of 3 , May 30, 2002
      I have allowed Sébastien's post to pass, though I don't want to make a habit
      of having "me too" posts with little or no linguistic content. The best way
      to show support or agreement with list moderation, goals, or practices is to
      simply join in and set a good example for everyone else. That being said, I
      am grateful to Sébastien for his thoughtful words of support, and to those
      others of you who have written me privately.

      I wanted also to highlight two things Sébastien said:

      > we'll have the opportunity to discuss the material recently
      > published (last Parma Eldalamberon and the latest issues of Vinyar Tengwar).
      > It seems to me that these publications have been somewhat a little ignored
      > on the other lists (except as "new words" providers), whereas there are many
      > very interesting features that would deserve to be discussed.

      and:

      > There is already so much work to do with the published attested material !

      As good friend and fellow list-member Arden Smith would say: "Boy howdy!"
      The neglect heaped upon recent publications from Tolkien's papers has been
      disheartening to say the least. It seems that, after being shaken down for
      "useful" or "valid" words, devices, and other bits, the publications are
      rarely if ever discussed again. This is an absurd situation for a community
      supposedly devoted to the scholarly study of Tolkien's languages and their
      invention, and I hope this list will help correct this.

      We have in the last several issues of _Parma Eldalamberon_ the germ and
      initial fulfillment of Tolkien's linguistic aesthetic and most profound
      thoughts on language. In a very real sense, everything that would follow
      would represent variations on the themes he set forth in these works. My
      other good friend and fellow list-member Patrick Wynne has noted that he
      could spend the rest of his life simply studying and writing about the Qenya
      and Gnomish lexicons, and what they reveal about Tolkien's linguistic and
      mythological inventions, so rich are they with detail and hidden gems. Well,
      given our other obligations to Tolkien's legacy, neither he nor the rest of my
      colleagues are likely to have that chance (not that we're complaining, mind
      you!) But _you_ all have it. (Moreover, the editors of these works are all right
      here, ready to answer any questions you might have regarding the texts.) I hope
      that some of you will avail yourselves of this amazing opportunity to be
      scholars of a subject near and dear to your heart -- and to Tolkien's.

      | |
      | Ars longa, vita brevis. |