Re: [Lambengolmor] Re: úcarindor

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 8, 2002
      Erestel wrote:

      > > 190 / Carl : As I've already pointed out in this thread, the word
      > _únótime_ (Galadriel's Lamaent) shows that there is no phonological
      > prohibition against two long vowels in adjoining syllables.
      >
      > I don't know wether _*úcárer_ would be possible or not ; I just
      > wonder if _únótime_ example is sufficient to validate _*úcárer_ ;
      > Indeed there are 4 syllables in _únótime_ so that the pronunciation
      > might be more evident than in _*úcárer_ (?)...

      **This is a good point. Actually, it is possible that _únótime_ is not
      sufficient enough to validate *_úcárer_. Words _úvane_ "withough
      beauty" and _unote(a)_ "not counted, uncounted" (VT39:14) could
      show that a long stem-vowel in dissyllabic words may be shortened
      due to the prefixion of _ú_. These examples are not umambiguous,
      though. The whole point is in my assumption that _unote(a)_ is
      related to _nóte_ "number" (Etym, s.v. NOT) and that I would
      rather expect *_váne_ to be a word for "beauty", because many
      substantives are of the same pattern: _nóte_, _líre_, _núte_, _cále_,
      _síre_ or _ñóle_ (all I could remember without checking sources,
      but I think it is sufficient). Cf. also the _á_ in _Vána_ (a name of
      a Valie; WJ/XI:383).

      However, as I said this evidence is not unambiguous, and it may
      well be that _vane_ is the actual word for "beauty". Furthermore,
      one version of Namárie has _únóti_ instead of _únótime_.

      Ales Bican

      ps. _unote(a)_ may be Tolkien's slip for *_únote(a)_. Once I asked
      about this Carl and he confirmed that it was really what Tolkien
      had written, though he might have meant *_únote(a)_.

      [Or even *_únóte(a)_. Carl]

      --
      Mi dissero che a quell'epoca per quindici giorni e quindici notti