Re: The History of the Word _lóme_

  • Petri Tikka
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 6 3:07 PM
      > [Thanks, Petri, for the interesting survey of this word. For my part, I
      > don't see any "evil" connotation to the glosses 'dusk, gloom, darkness';
      > to the Elves, born under the stars, darkness _per se_ is not evil.

      Of course not. I was quite aware of that, for it has been ellaborated quite
      often in "The History of Middle-earth". I am sorry if my text implied that
      in any way. That is why I put more evidence after those glosses to
      support that word had an evil connotation in the 1910s.

      > And while 'gloom' has now acquired primarily a connotation of
      > melancholy, it was not always so; it is more generally "Partial or total
      > darkness; thick shade; obscurity; as, the gloom of a forest, or of
      > midnight". Carl]

      But one must remember that Lowdham, who said that _lómi_ "appears to mean
      'fair night, a night of stars', with no connotations of gloom or fear"
      (IX:414), was a person who lived in the 1980s. That was most certainly a
      time when 'gloom' had been narrowed in its meaning to imply only
      melancholic darkness even in philological circles.

      Petri Tikka Helsinki, Finland
      kari.j.tikka@...
      http://www.geocities.com/petristikka/