_úcarindor_

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2002
      Patrick Wynne wrote:

      > Thus _úcarindor_ 'sinners, evil-doers' in _Aia María_ III, IV (VT43:27-8)
      > can be seen to contain the same aorist stem _kari-_ 'make, do' seen
      > in _i karir quettar ómainen_ cited above;

      **If agentives in _-ndo_ were formed from the aorist stem, why is
      _úcarindor_ not *_úcarendor_, given _úcarer_?

      [This matter was already touched by Fredrik. See his posts and
      Patrick's replies to them. -- ab]

      Mi dissero che e quell'epoca per quindici giorni e quindici notti

      [Your question assumes that _úcarer_ in At. V & VI is not an
      erroneous form; I contend that it is. I suspect that when Tolkien
      wrote At. V, he probably wrote _úcarer_ instead of the correct
      _úcarir_ under the influence of _úcare-_ in _úcaremmar_ 'our
      trespasses' in the preceding line (in the latter form, _úcar_
      or _úcare_ is a noun, 'a trespass, evil deed'). _úcarer_ in At. V
      was apparently marked for correction > _úcarir_; but when
      Tolkien wrote At. VI he made the same slip, writing _úcarer_
      once again. Why didn't he correct the slip in At. VI? Because
      At. VI was a fair copy carefully rendered in beautiful calligraphy
      (perhaps intended to be sent to a correspondent, hence its
      being written on a postcard), and it might be that Tolkien didn't
      wish to mar it with corrections -- note that At. VI bears another
      obvious slip, the long _í_ in úsahtíenna_, also left uncorrected.
      -- Patrick Wynne]