Re: [Lambengolmor] aorist stem (was _-Vndo)

    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 1, 2002
      I wrote:

      > > **I do not think the occurence of _n_ in a word has to imply that it
      > > is a marker of the past. Strong pasts of the _láve_ type do not have
      > > this component. And as for the strong pasts of the _quente_ type, the
      > > _n_ there may be explained as a nasal infixion, I think.

      David Kiltz commented:

      > No, it doesn't have to, but it's a strong possibility. Of course, that,
      > reversely, doesn't say anything about other past tense formations.

      **But perhaps it does. I have noticed that strong pasts are somewhat
      strengthened either by nasal-infixion or lengthening of the stem-vowel.
      And in fact the nasal-infixion could also be interpreted as a lengthening
      of the stem-vowel. If we say that the culmin in a syllable _quent_ is
      _en_ and the coda is _t_, then it is comparable to syllable _láv_ where
      the culmin is _á_ and coda _v_ (the _á_ can be interpreted as _aa_).
      Strong pasts would then be of this pattern:
      CV:Ce (i.e. consonant - long vowel - consonant - a past suffix).

      > The
      > fact that past is indicated by _-n_ (suffixed or by conditioned
      > soundchange, infixed) does not, of course, imply that all _-n_
      > formations are to be interpreted as "past".

      **Of course, because nasal-infixion is very common in Quenya.
      Similarly (as I already pointed out), the lengthening of the stem-
      vowel is not exclusive for pasts.

      > As for _quente_, I think it's *_quet-ne_ > _quente_.

      **This is of course possible and it is what I also thought. However,
      I am not really convinced now because of Telerin pa.t. _delle_ of
      _delia-_ I mentioned in an earlier letter (entitled _ulle_), though
      I admit that nasal-infixion before a sonant might be temptative.

      Mi dissero che e quell'epoca per quindici giorni e quindici notti

      [An entirely unambiguous example of a Quenya strong pa.t.
      formed via n-infixion is _anwe_ in _Quendi and Eldar_, said
      there to be "an old 'strong' past tense" of _auta-_ 'go away,
      leave', "only found in archaic language" (XI:366). I.e., root
      _*awa_ > pa.t. _a-n-we_. -- Patrick Wynne]