Re: [Lambengolmor] -Vndo

    Message 1 of 22 , Jul 30, 2002
      David Kiltz wrote:

      > >By the way, it is known that _-nde_ is a feminine counterpart of _-ndo_
      > >(see _Therinde_, PM:333).
      >
      > Yes, but we also have _melisse_ corresponding to _melindo_ [V:372, sub
      > MEL-].

      **Yes, we have. However, it does not necessarily rule out _-nde_
      as being a counterpart of _-ndo_. For istance, we have _-o_ and
      we treat it like a counterpart of _-e_. Yet the feminine equivalent
      of _tavaro_ "dryad" is given as _tavaril_ (LR:391, s.v. TAWAR).

      Mi dissero che e quell'epoca per quindici giorni e quindici notti
    • pa2rick
      Message 2 of 22 , Jul 31, 2002
        In post #162 Hans wrote:

        > A hypothetical
        > root *STIR ("brow"?) as an explanation for the attested names
        > _Elestirne_ ("star-brow") and _Carnistir_ ("ruddy face"?) was
        > discussed in the Tolklang messages 12.65 and 20.41. The latter became
        > _Caranthir_ in Sindarin, as was to be expected.

        Some additional evidence:

        In Carl Hostetter's presentation of linguistic notes excluded from
        "The Shibboleth of Feanor" as published in _The Peoples of
        Middle-earth_ (VT41:7-10), there is a group of notes on the
        "Sindarizing" of the names of the sons of Feanor. These notes
        include the following etymology of S. _Caranthir_:

        "[In] Sindarin _carani-_ > _caran_ + _thîr_ face (< _stîrê_)
        [?substituted] for Q. _car'ni-stîr(e)_. So _Caranthir_. [Marginal
        note: _Carastir_?]"

        -- Patrick Wynne