Re: [Lambengolmor] aorist stem (was _-Vndo)

    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 30, 2002
      David Kiltz wrote:

      > Patrick Wynne wrote [in mess.157]:
      >
      > > So David's statement that "the aorist can, after all, be used as a
      > > past tense" is to my knowledge untrue.
      >
      > Granted.
      >
      > However, I see no compelling reason for the assumption that _-Vnd_ is
      > derived from the aorist stem (indeed from any temporal stem). The _i_
      > doesn't have to have anything to do with the aorist. I still maintain
      > the opinion that the notion of "past" is contained in the _n_.
      > A form in _-Vndo_ doesn't show us whether the root syllable once was
      > long since with the stress is on the second syllable, in CVCV:ndo, the
      > first syllable can only, as far as I know, be short. So I see nothing that would
      > exclude the interpretation as a past participle active.
      > And even *if* the lengthening of the root vowel as seen in _rákina_ is
      > indicative of the past, so should the _n_ be which, after all, is a
      > prominent marker of the past (I don't think I've got to give examples
      > for that).

      **I do not think the occurence of _n_ in a word has to imply that it
      is a marker of the past. Strong pasts of the _láve_ type do not have
      this component. And as for the strong pasts of the _quente_ type, the
      _n_ there may be explained as a nasal infixion, I think.

      > So whatever the _i_ between the root and the ending, it
      > apparently doesn't contradict a "past" interpretation.

      **I think the _i_ is a part of the _ina_ suffix. Cf. _hastaina_
      "marred" (MR:254). And I think this suffix is adjectival in origin,
      because we have many adjectives ending in _-ina_ (or _-in_);
      the _-na_ suffix would an allomorph of this.

      Patrick Wynne commented:

      > [I wasn't denying a "past" interpretation of _rákina_! My whole
      > point in noting that the long vowel in passive past participles
      > such as _rákina_, _rúkina_ was also indicative of the Q. pa.t.
      > was to refute your assertion that the stem in these forms
      > could be aorist.

      **Note that the lengthening of the stem-vowel is not exclusively
      a marker of pasts, it is also a marker of continuative stems.

      *****

      Patrick also wrote:

      > So David's statement that "the aorist can, after all, be used as a
      > past tense" is to my knowledge untrue. I'm not aware of any instances
      > of Tolkien translating a Q. aorist as a pa.t.; if David knows of any,
      > I'd be interested to have them pointed out. But even if a few such
      > examples exist, the _majority_ of the evidence points to the Q. aorist
      > being analogous to the Eng. gnomic present.

      **Well, I am neither a David nor the David *smile*, but what about
      these instances: _antaróta_ "he gave it" and _antalto_ "they gave"
      in Fíriel's Song? Perhaps even _kaire [...] kirya_ "ship lay" (OM1)
      if _-re_ is (as I believe it is) a feminine pronominal ending
      (cf. _kirya kalliére_ "ship shone" (ibid.)).

      Mi dissero che e quell'epoca per quindici giorni e quindici notti

      [As for David's statement that "A form in _-Vndo_ doesn't show us
      whether the root syllable once was long since with the stress is on
      the second syllable, in CVCV:ndo, the first syllable can only, as
      far as I know, be short" -- this is not true. Cf. _ómaryo_ and
      _Rómello_ in Galadriel's Lament, in which the stress falls on
      the penult with retention of the long vowel in the initial syllable.
      The forms _antaróta_ 'he gave it' and _antalto_ 'they gave'
      from Fíriel's song might be present-tense forms, analogous
      to the "historical present" of Latin. -- Patrick Wynne]
    • gentlebeldin
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 31, 2002
        --- In lambengolmor@y..., David Kiltz <dkiltz@g...> wrote:

        > The passive participle is not formed by a compound employing "to
        > be". The suffix of the p.p. is either *_-tos_ etc. or _-nos_ etc..
        > Maybe I misunderstood you ?

        I wasn't very clear, I'm afraid. What I meant is: if the passive can
        be constructed by a participle + (apart from it) a form of "to be",
        we could as well have a form of that verb as a PART of the passive
        participle in another language.

        > Right, but I don't think you can explain the _-na_ in th p.p. from
        > _NA-_ "to be".

        I could, but I couldn't prove it. There are only so many allowed CV
        combinations, it may be a mere coincidence. If we knew other
        (inflected) forms of _na_ and found them used as endings, that would
        be another matter.

        Moreover, there are much simpler explanations. Participles are
        adjectives formed from verbs. The suffix _-na_ (or _naa_ in PE) is
        used to form adjectives, and some are formed from the naked
        (timeless) verbal stem:

        SKAL- (screen, hide) gives *skalnaa >_halda_ (veiled, shadowed,
        V:431)
        DUL- (hide, conceal) gives *ndulnaa > _nulla_, _nulda_ (secret, V:394)
        The latter example shows that -ln- could develop both into -ld- and -
        ll-. Another such "primitive verbal adjectives" could be _melda_
        (beloved, < *melnaa).
        Those didn't retain information about tense (past, present) or voice
        (passive, active), that's implied from context here (or irrelevant).

        Participles are whole classes of adjectives, retaining some of those
        characteristics as tense and voice. It depends on the language:
        Russian has any combination of active/passive with past/present (plus
        adverbial participles, so good luck studying it!), while English or
        Quenya (and even Italian) are more economical. :-)

        Both adjectival endings _-na_, _-ina_ are met outside participles,
        in "normal" adjectives, so I find it sort of risky to state that
        the "n" bears the information "past tense". Especially since there
        are forms of past tense without any "n". I'm not only speaking of the
        few examples _caare_, _(undu-)laave_, _tuule_,... quoted up this
        thread! The perfect also implies that the action is finished, i.e. it
        began in the past, and it doesn't contain an "n".

        So all we can say for certain is: there is ONE verb form containing
        _-ne_ meaning past tense. Whether the suffix _-ne_ can be identified
        as a past tense of _na_, is another matter. I like the theory, but
        chances are slim to prove it. I'm aware of alternatives.

        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 31, 2002
          On Dienstag, Juli 30, 2002, at 11:52 Uhr, Ales Bican wrote [in mess.
          169]:

          > **I do not think the occurence of _n_ in a word has to imply that it
          > is a marker of the past. Strong pasts of the _láve_ type do not have
          > this component. And as for the strong pasts of the _quente_ type, the
          > _n_ there may be explained as a nasal infixion, I think.

          No, it doesn't have to, but it's a strong possibility. Of course, that,
          reversely, doesn't say anything about other past tense formations. The
          fact that past is indicated by _-n_ (suffixed or by conditioned
          soundchange, infixed) does not, of course, imply that all _-n_
          formations are to be interpreted as "past".
          As for _quente_, I think it's *_quet-ne_ > _quente_.

          >> So whatever the _i_ between the root and the ending, it
          >> apparently doesn't contradict a "past" interpretation.
          >
          > **I think the _i_ is a part of the _ina_ suffix. Cf. _hastaina_
          > "marred" (MR:254). And I think this suffix is adjectival in origin,
          > because we have many adjectives ending in _-ina_ (or _-in_);
          > the _-na_ suffix would an allomorph of this.

          Good point. Indeed, both seem to "oscillate".

          David Kiltz

          [I have excised an extremely long and superfluous quote
          from the beginning of this message. I will remind list members
          here of one of Lambengolmor's guidelines, as stated by
          Carl Hostetter in message #2: "Two of my biggest pet peeves
          about mailing lists are 1) excessive (i.e., _lazy_) quotation
          of posts in replies, and 2) inaccurate subject-lines. Posts
          that violate the former will be rejected for revision. Good replies
          should quote just enough of the antecedent post(s) to give
          the context, but no more."

          I have been fairly lenient about this requirement thus far,
          but I will begin (indeed, I have begun) sending posts
          that quote excessively back for revision. -- Patrick Wynne]
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 1, 2002
            Patrick Wynne wrote:

            > The forms _antaróta_ 'he gave it' and _antalto_ 'they gave'
            > from Fíriel's song might be present-tense forms, analogous
            > to the "historical present" of Latin.

            **They of course might be. I think it is not even certain whether this
            stage of Quenya had _the_ aorist we know from later sources. Why
            is the article emphatized? Because there is another aorist in Quenya
            (or rather Qenya). This aorist was similar to the Greek one (as far
            as I can say, I do not know Greek a lot and if I said it was similar
            to the aorist in Old Czech, you would hardly know what I am talking
            about *smile*). The tense called aorist seems to be a past tense with
            a perfective aspect.
            Q _alatya_, aor. _altíne_, or _alantye_ (PE13:158R; a meaning of
            the verb is not given but probably *"shield, protect")
            Q _rosta-_, aor. _róse_, _róre_ (PE13:159R; probably *"rise")
            Now as far as I am aware there is no imperfect given. Nevertheless,
            I assume the tense existed, since Noldorin also has the aorist and
            imperfect. See conjugations in _Early Noldorin Grammar_ in PE13
            and an entry _mad_ on p. 163R:
            _madath_, past imperfect, was eating
            _maint_, aor. ate

            As for Latin, well, I do not know Latin a lot either, but as far as I
            can say it does not have an aorist tense. But as far as Tolkien's
            languages go, Adunaic aorist, for instance, was used both for present
            and past (see SD:439).
            Since the form _anta_ seems to be structurally an a-stem aorist, I
            would personally say it is an aorist used in past.

            Mi dissero che e quell'epoca per quindici giorni e quindici notti
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 1, 2002
              I wrote:

              > > **I do not think the occurence of _n_ in a word has to imply that it
              > > is a marker of the past. Strong pasts of the _láve_ type do not have
              > > this component. And as for the strong pasts of the _quente_ type, the
              > > _n_ there may be explained as a nasal infixion, I think.

              David Kiltz commented:

              > No, it doesn't have to, but it's a strong possibility. Of course, that,
              > reversely, doesn't say anything about other past tense formations.

              **But perhaps it does. I have noticed that strong pasts are somewhat
              strengthened either by nasal-infixion or lengthening of the stem-vowel.
              And in fact the nasal-infixion could also be interpreted as a lengthening
              of the stem-vowel. If we say that the culmin in a syllable _quent_ is
              _en_ and the coda is _t_, then it is comparable to syllable _láv_ where
              the culmin is _á_ and coda _v_ (the _á_ can be interpreted as _aa_).
              Strong pasts would then be of this pattern:
              CV:Ce (i.e. consonant - long vowel - consonant - a past suffix).

              > The
              > fact that past is indicated by _-n_ (suffixed or by conditioned
              > soundchange, infixed) does not, of course, imply that all _-n_
              > formations are to be interpreted as "past".

              **Of course, because nasal-infixion is very common in Quenya.
              Similarly (as I already pointed out), the lengthening of the stem-
              vowel is not exclusive for pasts.

              > As for _quente_, I think it's *_quet-ne_ > _quente_.

              **This is of course possible and it is what I also thought. However,
              I am not really convinced now because of Telerin pa.t. _delle_ of
              _delia-_ I mentioned in an earlier letter (entitled _ulle_), though
              I admit that nasal-infixion before a sonant might be temptative.

              Mi dissero che e quell'epoca per quindici giorni e quindici notti

              [An entirely unambiguous example of a Quenya strong pa.t.
              formed via n-infixion is _anwe_ in _Quendi and Eldar_, said
              there to be "an old 'strong' past tense" of _auta-_ 'go away,
              leave', "only found in archaic language" (XI:366). I.e., root
              _*awa_ > pa.t. _a-n-we_. -- Patrick Wynne]