Re: [Lambengolmor] Re: [LDB] "Canonical" Quenya and Quettahostanie

  • Beregond. Anders Stenström
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 25 12:09 AM
      Carl Hostetter replied to Bill Welden:

      > [First: I find nowhere a definition of "canonical" that distinguishes
      > between published and unpublished state. The usual use of the term in
      > the general literary context is synonymous with "authentic", i.e., coming
      > from the author's pen.

      This sense of "canonical" is an accident of modern critical
      jargon. It is not listed in the American Heritage Dictionary. There,
      "canonical" is said to mean: "1. Pertaining to, required by, or
      abiding by canon law. 2. Of or appearing in the Biblical canon.
      3. Authoritative; officially approved; orthodox." Sense 3 is the one
      Bill relied on (if I did not misunderstand), and it seemed a good
      word-choice to me.

      > If you mean "published" (sc., during the author's
      > lifetime, and thus with his approval), why not say that, . . . ?

      Because that long _scilicet_ is not obvious from the bare word.

      > Second: inclusion of inauthentic forms will require a vetting process far
      > more complicated than that needed if only authentic forms are permitted.

      I agree totally: it would be to invite complications. Keeping the
      project as uncomplicated as possible makes it more likely to actually
      come off.

      Meneg suilaid,

      Beregond
    • Petri Tikka
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 25 5:22 AM
        --- In lambengolmor@y..., Beregond. Anders Stenström <beregond@u...> wrote:

        > Carl Hostetter replied to Bill Welden:

        >> Second: inclusion of inauthentic forms will require a vetting process
        >> far more complicated than that needed if only authentic forms are
        >> permitted.
        >
        > I agree totally: it would be to invite complications. Keeping the
        > project as uncomplicated as possible makes it more likely to actually
        > come off.
        >
        > Meneg suilaid,
        >
        > Beregond

        Not adding "inauthentic" forms would make it easier, but so would not
        adding "inauthentic" analysis, "inauthentic" singular forms, "inauthentic"
        undeclined forms, "inauthentic" synonyms, "inauthentic" antonyms, etc..
        It would enlarge the possibility of this project ever coming to fruit,
        but it would also make it much poorer. The "vetting process" would
        be difficult, but the making of linguistical databases is, by definition,
        _extremely hard_. The vetting process would be eased by adding,
        to all non-Tolkienian forms, complete analysis and basis for the "new
        words" from attested writings.

        Petri Tikka Helsinki, Finland
        kari.j.tikka@...
        http://www.geocities.com/petristikka/
      • John Garth
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 25 10:07 AM
          on 25/7/02 1:22 pm, Petri Tikka at kari.j.tikka@... wrote:

          > Not adding "inauthentic" forms would make it easier, but so would not
          > adding "inauthentic" analysis, "inauthentic" singular forms, "inauthentic"
          > undeclined forms, "inauthentic" synonyms, "inauthentic" antonyms, etc..
          > It would enlarge the possibility of this project ever coming to fruit,
          > but it would also make it much poorer.

          That is why, as an initial stage (which would itself take a very long time),
          no such analysis or forms ought to be included in a Tolkienian linguistic
          database. Surely the best methodology is to gather as much data as possible
          before extrapolating from it.

          Anyone so inclined could provide analysis and extrapolation elsewhere. That
          way, you would have the most reliable catalogue of the Tolkienian languages
          possible; and elsewhere you would have commentaries plainly distinguishable
          from it, whose authors could take responsibility for their own work.

          In my abortive database I included, at the most, an indication that a word
          was, for example, a plural form or a noun when it was (to my mind)
          indisputable from the context but would be unclear out of context. (This was
          relatively easy, in the vast majority of cases, because the context was
          generally English rather than, say, Quenya.)

          The process of creating a thesaurus, which _Quettahostanie_ appears
          encompass, seems to me quite alien to the aims of a linguistic catalogue,
          and should also be kept separate.

          John Garth
        • Kai MacTane
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 26 2:10 PM
            At 7/25/02 10:07 AM , John Garth wrote:

            >That is why, as an initial stage (which would itself take a very long time),
            >no such analysis or forms ought to be included in a Tolkienian linguistic
            >database. Surely the best methodology is to gather as much data as possible
            >before extrapolating from it.

            It's certainly possible for us to simply start loading attested Tolkienian
            forms into QH as it stands, and not bother with compounded/coined
            (post-Tolkienian) material until later (if at all). Just because the
            capability is there doesn't mean we have to use it immediately. However:

            >Anyone so inclined could provide analysis and extrapolation elsewhere. That
            >way, you would have the most reliable catalogue of the Tolkienian languages
            >possible; and elsewhere you would have commentaries plainly distinguishable
            >from it, whose authors could take responsibility for their own work.

            There is a certain level of utility in having things centralized, and hence
            easily searchable through one interface. Granted, this is of no particular
            use for the academic community. But for the Quenya-composition folks, it
            would be nice to be able to search for attested Tolkienian words *and*
            newer coinages all at once. (Also note that QH will display Tolkien's forms
            higher up in the results than the non-Tolkien forms, all other things being
            equal -- for more details, see the guide to search results in the
            documentation. Essentially, it depends on just what the user enters as
            search terms, but attestation level is the second-level sort criterion.)

            >The process of creating a thesaurus, which _Quettahostanie_ appears
            >encompass, seems to me quite alien to the aims of a linguistic catalogue,
            >and should also be kept separate.

            I'm a bit confused by how QH acts as a thesaurus -- do you mean the listing
            of synonyms? I had actually intended that to be a bit more of a research
            tool; there are places where it can be useful to compare and contrast
            different words that refer to similar or identical things.

            --Kai MacTane
            "Wind in wings,/Two angels falling
            To die like this/With a last kiss..."
            --Siouxsie and the