Re: [Lambengolmor] ERRATA - VT44:9 ullume

  • Alex Grigny de Castro
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 21, 2002
      VT44:9 quote:
      "the same final element occurs in _ullume_ 'for ever' (possibly lit.
      'not-ever, not-always') [...]"
      unquote.

      This 'for ever' is what I am refering to, Carl, not to the further gloss
      which is correct. Anyway, I now understand what is meant if not written to
      my satisfaction in my poor knowledge of the Albion lingo :)

      Alex

      ===
      Alex Grigny de Castro
      mailto:a.grigny@...
      http://members.ams.chello.nl/a.grigny
      XelaG
      mailto:xelag@...
      http://www.imatowns.com/xelagot

      [OK, I see your point. The wording in _VT_ does perhaps silently import
      more than it should: the knowledge that by writing _ullume_ 'for ever'
      we are conveying Tolkien's gloss, which needs to be understood as not a
      literal gloss. Carl]