Parma Eldalamberon review

  • johnwgarth
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 27 2:57 AM
      Dear all,

      "For Tolkien, the word came before the world. Yet his claim that he created Middle-earth to house his invented languages has served mainly to raise sceptical eyebrows. The on-going publication of his writings on the languages and scripts of his sub-created world must remedy this...."

      My review of Parma Eldalamberon 13 (The Alphabet of RĂºmil & Early Noldorin Fragments) and 14 (Early Qenya & Valmaric), containing work by Tolkien on his Elvish languages and scripts mostly from the early 1920s, is now on my website:

      http://www.johngarth.co.uk/php/parma_eldalamberon_13_and_14.php

      The review was previously only available in Tolkien Studies 2 and via subscription-only Project Muse.

      My aim is not to analyse the linguistic content but to show, for a general audience, why it has literary value and how it underpinned Tolkien's entire creative project.

      I hope you will find it of interest.

      Best wishes,

      John Garth