_Tengwar_ inscription, Bay East Auction, Nov. 27, 2011, Lot 389

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 26, 2011
      Bay East Auctions' Art & Book Sale, 27 Nov. 2011:

      <http://bayeastauctions.com.au/auctions_catalogues.php?auction=384>

      contains the following Tolkien lot of particular interest to this list:

      Lot 389: <http://bayeastauctions.com.au/lot_details.php?lot=177950#>

      Signed set of _The Lord of the Rings_ with (Nov. 1954?)

      1) _Tengwar_ transliteration of English inscription:

      "With the very best wishes of <J.R.R. Tolkien> I wish that you need not go back "across so wide a sea"."

      2) Tipped-in analysis (1955?) of the _tengwar_ inscription, not in Tolkien's hand, nor apparently by him -- note the misinterpretation of the flourish of the final "s"-_tengwa_ of "wishes" as the "u"-_tengwa_.

      ho bios brachys, he de techne makre.
      Ars longa, vita brevis.