Two new books of linguistic note

    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 15, 2011
      I received today copies of two new books of Tolkien scholarship containing new primary material that will be of special interest to this list:

      =================

      1) _The Art of the Hobbit_ by J.R.R. Tolkien, ed. Wayne G. Hammond and Christina Scull
      (London, HarperCollinsPublishers, 2011)
      <http://www.amazon.co.uk/Art-Hobbit-J-R-Tolkien/dp/0007440812/>

      p. 51 offers the largest and clearest reproduction yet of the version of "Thror's Map" that has the Noldorin inscription:

      brann i-
      Lheben teil annon
      ar neledh [?neledie >>] neledhi gar
      {gold >> ?goelend}
      godrebh

      and the Old English inscription:

      fif f�ta heah is se duru a{nd}
      [?m�g]
      �rie m�g samod �urhgang[?en]d

      (The last letters of "and" are rubbed, and above "duru and" two words, or possibly one long word, of perhaps 8 to 10 letters, have been erased, possibly containing "gh" as the 3/4 or 4/5 letters.)

      p. 56 reproduces, from the verso of the same version of "Thror's Map", Tolkien's sketches for the moon-runes ("Stand by the grey stone..."), accompanied by the start of a Noldorin translation:

      har na ond i mid

      With _har_ cp. QL HARA- 'cleave, remain', har(e) 'near' (PE12:39); GL hast 'waiting. a wait. a pause, a rest. stop'. hasta- 'to tarry, wait. pause, stay. stop' (PE11:48).

      (There is also a full translation of the moon-runes into Old Norse and a partial translation in Old English.)

      p. 114 reproduces, from the verso of Tolkien's sketch of "The Death of Smaug", a number of _tengwar_ transcriptions of English phrases.

      =================

      2) _The History of the Hobbit_, revised and expanded one-volume edition, J.R.R. Tolkien, ed. John Rateliff
      (London, HarperCollinsPublishers, 2011)
      <http://www.amazon.co.uk/History-Hobbit-J-R-R-Tolkien/dp/0007440820/>

      p. 895 reproduces Tolkien's runic (futhorc-style) banners (in the event not used) for the Longmans Green and co. 1966 school edition of _The Hobbit_.

      pp. 902-11 provide:

      i. Tolkien's table and discussion of the "Runes used by Thorin & Co." (i.e., his modified version of the _futhorc_ adapted to Modern English),

      ii. Two further versions of Tolkien's _tengwar_ transcription of Thorin's letter of contract with Bilbo ("Thorin and company to burglar Bilbo greetings....").

      iii. Tolkien's table and discussion of an "Adaptation of the Feanorian Alphabet as used by Dwarves (and others) for the common or ordinary language", including punctuation and two systems of numerals.

      iv. Tolkien's table and discussion of "Feanorian applied to English", including punctuation and _tehtar_.

      If anyone spots any new material that I overlooked, please let the list know.

      -- Carl Hostetter
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 16, 2011
        Dear Carl,

        Thank you very much for this interesting information.
        I have a question and an addition.

        On 15.11.2011, at 23:23, Carl F. Hostetter wrote:

        > and the Old English inscription:
        >
        > fif f�ta heah is se duru a{nd}
        > [?m�g]
        > flrie m�g samod flurhgang[?en]d

        I'd venture to guess that the initial consonant of _flrie_ and _flurhgang_ is thorn, hence �rie (= OE 'three', i.e. �r�e, thr�e) and �urhgang[...] (probably OE �urhgangan, thurhgangan 'go through, enter').

        Is this just a technical problem of representing thorn or does the print edition perhaps intend to write f+l ?

        > har na ond i mid
        >
        > With _har_ cp. QL HARA- 'cleave, remain', har(e) 'near' (PE12:39); GL hast 'waiting. a wait. a pause, a rest. stop'. hasta- 'to tarry, wait. pause, stay. stop' (PE11:48).

        While not an exact semantic match, cf. also _h�ra_ 'to be sitting' as in _i h�rar mahalmassen_ "those who sit upon the thrones" (UT:305).

        -David Kiltz