Clarification of tengwar shapes

  • Arden R. Smith
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 18, 2011
      In our discussions about the tengwar at Omentielva Cantea this past
      weekend, some questions about the shapes of certain Feanorian
      characters arose. I'd like to address a couple of those questions.

      The Feanorian zero: In the manuscripts upon which the presentations
      in _Quettar_ 13 and 14 were based, the zero clearly has the shape of a
      backwards c. It should not look like the right half of a heart, as
      Christopher Tolkien has generally written it.

      The tengwa /y/ in the Mode of Beleriand: All the unpublished tables
      of that mode agree that the loop of the letter should in fact be
      *closed*. This being the case, it should not be regarded as an
      alternative usage of _silme nuquerna_, but rather as an entirely
      different tengwa.

      Arden R. Smith erilaz@...

      Perilme metto aimaktur perperienta.
      --Elvish proverb