Omentielva Cantea update

  • "Beregond, Anders Stenström"
    Message 1 of 5 , May 11, 2011
      Mellyn!

      The webpages about Omentielva Cantea have just been updated
      with news about programme and participants. Look at
      <http://www.omentielva.com/next.htm>.
      Thanks to a grant from Sociedad Tolkien Española we have been
      able to invite Arden Smith as guest of honour, and two of the
      talks will be by him.

      The conference is in Valencia, Spain, 11 - 14 August. You can
      register online at <http://www.omentielva.com/register.htm>.

      A lelya Valencianna!

      Beregond
    • merp@kingtape.se
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 4, 2011
        I just wanted to draw the attention to what I believe could be a minor
        error in Parma Eldalamberon 17: on page 26 is given the reference
        "_OYO-_ 'ever eternal'". The correct form would be "OY- 'ever,
        eternal'" (as appearing in _The Lost Road_, p. 379). From what I can
        find, the The Parma Eldalamberon errata document (updated 20 December
        2008) does not include this note. (I also double-checked with the
        corrigenda provided in Vinyar Tengwar 46, which also has "OY-".)
        Cheers,
        Morgan Thomsen

      • David Giraudeau
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 20, 2011

          here are some possible errors in PE17 :

          PE17:5
          both published and in the >> both published in the

          PE17:18
          distinguised >> distinguished

          PE17:23
          Etymogies >> Etymologies

          PE17:25
          a Qenya word [could it be "Quenya" instead ?]

          PE17:34
          The sheet sheet >> The sheet

          PE17:146
          Etym. AM- 'up' >> Etym. AM²- 'up'

          PE17:164
          and older variant of Eldamar >> an older variant of Eldamar

          PE17:166
          _ataquanta-_, refall, fall second time, double fall [could it be "refill" and "fill" instead, cf. _entaquanta- 'refill' next page and roots KWAT- in Etym. or QNTN or QATA in PE12]

          DG
        • cgilson75
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 20, 2011
            --- In lambengolmor@yahoogroups.com, "David Giraudeau" <davidkiks@...> wrote:

            > here are some possible errors in PE17 :
            >
            > PE17:5
            > both published and in the >> both published in the

            No, the allusion is to examples that were published at that time and also to examples
            written at that time in the "Silmarillion" materials but not yet published then.

            [...]
            > PE17:25
            > a Qenya word [could it be "Quenya" instead ?]

            Yes, this should certainly be "a Quenya word." This is actually a silent expansion of
            Tolkien's "a Q. word" but he would have spelled it with the "u" if he had written it in
            full at this time.

            [...]
            > PE17:146
            > Etym. AM- 'up' >> Etym. AM²- 'up'

            My feeling is that the superscripted number is superfluous in this context: it is not
            an essential component of the linguistic form; the reference is unambiguous since the
            gloss of the base is included; and the number would not mean anything to readers
            not already very familiar with _The Etymologies_ or having it before them as they
            were reading PE 17.

            [...]
            > PE17:166
            > _ataquanta-_, refall, fall second time, double fall [could it be "refill" and "fill" instead, cf. _entaquanta- 'refill' next page and roots KWAT- in Etym. or QNTN or QATA in PE12]

            At the time I published PE 17 it seemed clear that either "refall" was a slip for
            "refill" or else _ataquanta_ was a slip for _atalanta_ and I intended (but in the
            event neglected) to point out the alternative possibilities in the annotation. The
            other two glosses are more hasty and could be interpreted either way. The reading
            of the "a" in the first gloss seemed clear at the time; but I see on reëxamining my
            copy of the ms. page that this gloss is written over something else in ball-point,
            which is too obscured to interpret, but may be contributing to an actual "i" in the
            gloss (written without a dot) looking like an "a." Given that "refall" is an unusual construction in English anyway, I think it is indeed much more likely that Tolkien
            wrote "_ataquanta_, refill, fill second time, double fill."

            Christopher Gilson
          • Hans Georg Lundahl
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 24, 2011
              If this is correct - sorry for an elfling rather than lambengolmor statement - any scandinavian members will be happy to know that Tolkien knew of the Swedish coffee house custom of _påtår_ and made _ataquanta_ to represent it in Quenya. Or does _refill_ occur often in English customs?