Re: Parma Eldalamberon Issue No. 19 - Announcement

  • merp@kingtape.se
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 5, 2010
      Hopefully I can�throw a little light on the issue, as I've
      experienced�the problem myself. (I live in Sweden.)

      When�PE 19 was announced, I was at work and followed the link�to
      the PE website. I could access the website, but decided to wait with
      ordering the issue until I got home.

      At home I tried to access the PE website every day during a whole
      week,�but I couldn't connect. I sent Mr. Gilson an email, and he
      kindly replied that my Internet�Service�Provider (ISP)�might be
      the cause of the problem.

      I therefore tried again at work (which uses a different ISP) - and
      it worked! I could connect to the PE website and order the new issue
      via Paypal, as usual.

      However, I did call my ISP to enquire if they are blocking the
      website, but I got the answer that they weren't. They think the
      problem is related to a setting in my software. (But since I tried
      both in IE and Chrome, I'm suspecting there's another problem causing
      the issue...)

      So, in short, if you have trouble accessing the PE website (I've
      heard from various people having this problem), try�with a different
      computer, with a different ISP or other internet settings.

      Cheers,

      Morgan
    • sean wells
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 5, 2010
        Hello, I am new to the Lambengolmor and to the study of Tolkien's languages.�
        The discovery of all the scholars dedicated to this study is exciting. The
        journals that collect your scholarship will be treasured for many years.

        The Vinyar Tengwar's collected volumes 1-5b are a fantastic resource. I eagerly
        await #50.

        The Parma Eldalamberon is also wonderful. I have found that 1-7, 11, 14-17, &
        19 are available. Does anyone know of a resource for purchasing out-of-print
        issues of the Parma Eldalamberon? Or do these out-of-print issues get reprinted
        periodically?

        Thank you,
        Sean

        [Yes, editor Christopher Gilson does occasionally reprint back-issues of PE.

        I'd like to take this occasion to update folks on _Vinyar Tengwar_. First, I must apologize for the very long delay in producing issue 50. I had hoped to have finished it (much) earlier this year, but my (bill-paying) work schedule has been intense for many months now as my two software development projects race critical and tight release deadlines. However, that should come to an end soon, and I will in any event be taking the last half of December off, so should be able to finish the issue by year's end, and publish it shortly after that. Second, many have noted the disappearance _The Collected Vinyar Tengwar_ Vol. 5b from availability on Lulu.com; this was due to Lulu.com's automated PDF-validity-checking tools deciding that there was at least one error in at least one of the PDF files that vol. 5b comprises: but they couldn't tell me what or where the errors were. And rather than trying to track that down, I decided just to wait until the volume is completed with VT 50 and generate a whole new set of PDFs then. So again, hopefully around the beginning of the new year, the completed vol. 5 will be available.

        This is also a good occasion to make a periodic reference to the guidelines for this group:
        <http://www.elvish.org/LambengolmorList/>. CFH]
      • Thaliorne
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 7, 2011
          In http://www.elvish.org/errata/VT-Errata.pdf it's written the following

          Issue 45:
          VT45:35, under MIZD-: for "Dor. mêd 'moisture'" read "Dor. mīd 'Moisture'". (Reported by
          Helios De Rosario Martínez, see Lambengolmor message 654).

          Is capital "M" in the word "Moisture" really intended? It looks like it should be small "m", not capital "M".

          Thaliorne