Re: Parma Eldalamberon Issue No. 19 - Announcement

  • pengolodh_dk
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 4, 2010

      > http://www.eldalamberon.com/parma19.html

      This link doesn't work for me. Is that just a local problem?

      All the best,
      Peter

      [Unfortunately, I've noticed this behavior in the past. For some reason, the server that the eldalamberon.com site is on is at least at times unreachable in at least some European countries. I suggest contacting Christopher Gilson directly at harpwire at ifn dot net. I should also note that Chris has had a family matter arise that may delay Parma and/or his correspondence for a bit. CFH]
    • merp@kingtape.se
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 5, 2010
        Hopefully I can�throw a little light on the issue, as I've
        experienced�the problem myself. (I live in Sweden.)

        When�PE 19 was announced, I was at work and followed the link�to
        the PE website. I could access the website, but decided to wait with
        ordering the issue until I got home.

        At home I tried to access the PE website every day during a whole
        week,�but I couldn't connect. I sent Mr. Gilson an email, and he
        kindly replied that my Internet�Service�Provider (ISP)�might be
        the cause of the problem.

        I therefore tried again at work (which uses a different ISP) - and
        it worked! I could connect to the PE website and order the new issue
        via Paypal, as usual.

        However, I did call my ISP to enquire if they are blocking the
        website, but I got the answer that they weren't. They think the
        problem is related to a setting in my software. (But since I tried
        both in IE and Chrome, I'm suspecting there's another problem causing
        the issue...)

        So, in short, if you have trouble accessing the PE website (I've
        heard from various people having this problem), try�with a different
        computer, with a different ISP or other internet settings.

        Cheers,

        Morgan
      • sean wells
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 5, 2010
          Hello, I am new to the Lambengolmor and to the study of Tolkien's languages.�
          The discovery of all the scholars dedicated to this study is exciting. The
          journals that collect your scholarship will be treasured for many years.

          The Vinyar Tengwar's collected volumes 1-5b are a fantastic resource. I eagerly
          await #50.

          The Parma Eldalamberon is also wonderful. I have found that 1-7, 11, 14-17, &
          19 are available. Does anyone know of a resource for purchasing out-of-print
          issues of the Parma Eldalamberon? Or do these out-of-print issues get reprinted
          periodically?

          Thank you,
          Sean

          [Yes, editor Christopher Gilson does occasionally reprint back-issues of PE.

          I'd like to take this occasion to update folks on _Vinyar Tengwar_. First, I must apologize for the very long delay in producing issue 50. I had hoped to have finished it (much) earlier this year, but my (bill-paying) work schedule has been intense for many months now as my two software development projects race critical and tight release deadlines. However, that should come to an end soon, and I will in any event be taking the last half of December off, so should be able to finish the issue by year's end, and publish it shortly after that. Second, many have noted the disappearance _The Collected Vinyar Tengwar_ Vol. 5b from availability on Lulu.com; this was due to Lulu.com's automated PDF-validity-checking tools deciding that there was at least one error in at least one of the PDF files that vol. 5b comprises: but they couldn't tell me what or where the errors were. And rather than trying to track that down, I decided just to wait until the volume is completed with VT 50 and generate a whole new set of PDFs then. So again, hopefully around the beginning of the new year, the completed vol. 5 will be available.

          This is also a good occasion to make a periodic reference to the guidelines for this group:
          <http://www.elvish.org/LambengolmorList/>. CFH]
        • Thaliorne
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 7, 2011
            In http://www.elvish.org/errata/VT-Errata.pdf it's written the following

            Issue 45:
            VT45:35, under MIZD-: for "Dor. mêd 'moisture'" read "Dor. mīd 'Moisture'". (Reported by
            Helios De Rosario Martínez, see Lambengolmor message 654).

            Is capital "M" in the word "Moisture" really intended? It looks like it should be small "m", not capital "M".

            Thaliorne