Parma Eldalamberon Issue No. 19 - Announcement

  • cgilson75
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 28, 2010
      PARMA ELDALAMBERON 19

      Quenya Phonology:
      Comparative Tables
      Outline of Phonetic Development
      Outline of Phonology

      By J. R. R. TOLKIEN

      http://www.eldalamberon.com/parma19.html

      This issue of _Parma Eldalamberon_ to which we have given the title
      "Quenya Phonology" presents three linguistic texts dealing with the
      internal history of the sounds of Quenya in relation to the cognate
      Elvish languages and their descent from a common source.

      The "Comparative Tables" are a series of charts laying out the regular
      correspondences among the sounds of the various languages Tolkien
      had invented by the late 1930s or conceived of as part of his history
      of the Elves, including Valarin, Quenya, Lindarin, Telerin, Noldorin,
      Ilkorin, Danian and Lemberin, as well as the Mannish language Taliskan.
      There are charts for word-initial and medial consonants and consonant
      groups, and for long vowels and diphthongs. These are accompanied
      by Tolkien's notes on the general phonetic characteristics of the
      historical development of the languages, and on their phonological
      types in terms of the "real" languages on which they were modelled.

      The "Outline of Phonetic Development" is a detailed description of
      the historical changes that produced of the sounds of Quenya from
      the sounds of Primitive Eldarin, including the regular developments
      in word-initial and medial positions and the distinctive changes of
      sounds in contact. Phonetic variations among the historical dialects
      of Quenya are described, as well as those divergent developments
      occurring in the closely related languages of Lindarin, Telerin and
      Noldorin, and the influences of these on the dialects of Quenya.
      The text appears to be from the late 1930s or 1940s.

      The "Outline of Phonology" is a revised and expanded version of this
      text, dating from the 1950s. It describes the phonology of Quenya
      as primarily the speech of the Noldor in Valinor; but it is similarly
      arranged, giving variations within the historical dialects of Quenya
      and divergent developments in the related Vanyarin and Telerin.

      We expect _Parma Eldalamberon_ no. 19 to be available for shipping:
      November 15, 2010

      The cost is $35 per copy including postage and handling world-wide.

      To order now, please use the PayPal button at the webpage given below,
      or send check or money-order (U.S. funds only) to:

      Christopher Gilson
      1240 Dale Avenue, No. 40
      Mountain View, CA 94040
      U. S. A.

      http://www.eldalamberon.com/parma19.html
    • pengolodh_dk
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 4, 2010

        > http://www.eldalamberon.com/parma19.html

        This link doesn't work for me. Is that just a local problem?

        All the best,
        Peter

        [Unfortunately, I've noticed this behavior in the past. For some reason, the server that the eldalamberon.com site is on is at least at times unreachable in at least some European countries. I suggest contacting Christopher Gilson directly at harpwire at ifn dot net. I should also note that Chris has had a family matter arise that may delay Parma and/or his correspondence for a bit. CFH]
      • merp@kingtape.se
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 5, 2010
          Hopefully I can�throw a little light on the issue, as I've
          experienced�the problem myself. (I live in Sweden.)

          When�PE 19 was announced, I was at work and followed the link�to
          the PE website. I could access the website, but decided to wait with
          ordering the issue until I got home.

          At home I tried to access the PE website every day during a whole
          week,�but I couldn't connect. I sent Mr. Gilson an email, and he
          kindly replied that my Internet�Service�Provider (ISP)�might be
          the cause of the problem.

          I therefore tried again at work (which uses a different ISP) - and
          it worked! I could connect to the PE website and order the new issue
          via Paypal, as usual.

          However, I did call my ISP to enquire if they are blocking the
          website, but I got the answer that they weren't. They think the
          problem is related to a setting in my software. (But since I tried
          both in IE and Chrome, I'm suspecting there's another problem causing
          the issue...)

          So, in short, if you have trouble accessing the PE website (I've
          heard from various people having this problem), try�with a different
          computer, with a different ISP or other internet settings.

          Cheers,

          Morgan
        • sean wells
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 5, 2010
            Hello, I am new to the Lambengolmor and to the study of Tolkien's languages.�
            The discovery of all the scholars dedicated to this study is exciting. The
            journals that collect your scholarship will be treasured for many years.

            The Vinyar Tengwar's collected volumes 1-5b are a fantastic resource. I eagerly
            await #50.

            The Parma Eldalamberon is also wonderful. I have found that 1-7, 11, 14-17, &
            19 are available. Does anyone know of a resource for purchasing out-of-print
            issues of the Parma Eldalamberon? Or do these out-of-print issues get reprinted
            periodically?

            Thank you,
            Sean

            [Yes, editor Christopher Gilson does occasionally reprint back-issues of PE.

            I'd like to take this occasion to update folks on _Vinyar Tengwar_. First, I must apologize for the very long delay in producing issue 50. I had hoped to have finished it (much) earlier this year, but my (bill-paying) work schedule has been intense for many months now as my two software development projects race critical and tight release deadlines. However, that should come to an end soon, and I will in any event be taking the last half of December off, so should be able to finish the issue by year's end, and publish it shortly after that. Second, many have noted the disappearance _The Collected Vinyar Tengwar_ Vol. 5b from availability on Lulu.com; this was due to Lulu.com's automated PDF-validity-checking tools deciding that there was at least one error in at least one of the PDF files that vol. 5b comprises: but they couldn't tell me what or where the errors were. And rather than trying to track that down, I decided just to wait until the volume is completed with VT 50 and generate a whole new set of PDFs then. So again, hopefully around the beginning of the new year, the completed vol. 5 will be available.

            This is also a good occasion to make a periodic reference to the guidelines for this group:
            <http://www.elvish.org/LambengolmorList/>. CFH]
          • Thaliorne
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 7, 2011
              In http://www.elvish.org/errata/VT-Errata.pdf it's written the following

              Issue 45:
              VT45:35, under MIZD-: for "Dor. mêd 'moisture'" read "Dor. mīd 'Moisture'". (Reported by
              Helios De Rosario Martínez, see Lambengolmor message 654).

              Is capital "M" in the word "Moisture" really intended? It looks like it should be small "m", not capital "M".

              Thaliorne