SV: [Lambengolmor] Tolkien -- a handwriter?

  • Hans Georg Lundahl
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 14, 2009
      Answering this:

      [Tolkien indeed overwhelmingly wrote by hand, and for most of his life with a nib/fountain pen. (In fact, the presence of ballpoint pen helps to date his manuscripts; and ballpoint was mostly used for later corrections and additions to earlier manuscripts. ) ...--CFH]

      I have read he wrote things like the manuscripts for Lay of Leithian and other manuscripts first in pencil, then filled out in pen.

      -- Hans Georg Lundahl

      [Yes, Tolkien often wrote in pencil. I didn't mean to imply that he only wrote with a pen. The original question was contrasting typewriter vs. pen composition, and my response was made in that context. --CFH]