Tolkien -- a handwriter?

  • galanolwe
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 13, 2009
      I've heard many different reports on how Tolkien wrote his manuscripts. Mainly I've heard that he wrote with a fountain pen. Others say he wrote with a typewriter. Anyone know for sure?

      Lawrence Bottorff
      Grand Marais, MN

      [Tolkien indeed overwhelmingly wrote by hand, and for most of his life with a nib/fountain pen. (In fact, the presence of ballpoint pen helps to date his manuscripts; and ballpoint was mostly used for later corrections and additions to earlier manuscripts.) There are relatively very few examples of typewritten texts, and these are rarely (if ever) primary compositions, but are mostly made from earlier manuscript texts. They also tend to peter out after just a few pages, with the original manuscript text left following where the typescript breaks off. --CFH]
    • Hans Georg Lundahl
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 14, 2009
        Answering this:

        [Tolkien indeed overwhelmingly wrote by hand, and for most of his life with a nib/fountain pen. (In fact, the presence of ballpoint pen helps to date his manuscripts; and ballpoint was mostly used for later corrections and additions to earlier manuscripts. ) ...--CFH]

        I have read he wrote things like the manuscripts for Lay of Leithian and other manuscripts first in pencil, then filled out in pen.

        -- Hans Georg Lundahl

        [Yes, Tolkien often wrote in pencil. I didn't mean to imply that he only wrote with a pen. The original question was contrasting typewriter vs. pen composition, and my response was made in that context. --CFH]