Re: [Lambengolmor] HW in Thror's map

  • Arden R. Smith
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 20, 2008
      On Sep 18, 2008, at 1:02 PM, Diego Seguí wrote:

      > The question is: was there ever any map in English editions that had
      > 'when' instead of 'hwen' and that may have served as a model for the
      > Spanish map, or should this change be ascribed to the person who
      > copied it?

      I think it must be the latter. I've never seen an English edition
      with "when" on Thrór's map (and I have quite a few different editions
      in my collection).

      Arden R. Smith erilaz@...

      Perilme metto aimaktur perperienta.
      --Elvish proverb

    • Arden R. Smith
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 18, 2011
        In our discussions about the tengwar at Omentielva Cantea this past
        weekend, some questions about the shapes of certain Feanorian
        characters arose. I'd like to address a couple of those questions.

        The Feanorian zero: In the manuscripts upon which the presentations
        in _Quettar_ 13 and 14 were based, the zero clearly has the shape of a
        backwards c. It should not look like the right half of a heart, as
        Christopher Tolkien has generally written it.

        The tengwa /y/ in the Mode of Beleriand: All the unpublished tables
        of that mode agree that the loop of the letter should in fact be
        *closed*. This being the case, it should not be regarded as an
        alternative usage of _silme nuquerna_, but rather as an entirely
        different tengwa.