HW in Thror's map

  • Diego Seguí
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 18, 2008

      Probably someone here can help me with this:

      The runes in Thrór's map have 'wh' for 'hw' in 'when', Tolkien following a regular usage in writing Anglo-Saxon runes (noted e.g. by D. Anderson in his Annotated Hobbit, p. 97); that is, it says 'hwen the thrush knocks'. Now, the same map in standard Spanish editions (Minotauro, 1982-), where the runes have not been translated, has 'when', even though the transcription in the first page says 'hwen' again. (The map itself has been redrawn and translated, and the runes seem to have been copied very carefully.)

      The question is: was there ever any map in English editions that had 'when' instead of 'hwen' and that may have served as a model for the Spanish map, or should this change be ascribed to the person who copied it?

      Thanks a lot,

      Diego Seguí
      Argentina
    • Arden R. Smith
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 20, 2008
        On Sep 18, 2008, at 1:02 PM, Diego Seguí wrote:

        > The question is: was there ever any map in English editions that had
        > 'when' instead of 'hwen' and that may have served as a model for the
        > Spanish map, or should this change be ascribed to the person who
        > copied it?

        I think it must be the latter. I've never seen an English edition
        with "when" on Thrór's map (and I have quite a few different editions
        in my collection).

        Arden R. Smith erilaz@...

        Perilme metto aimaktur perperienta.
        --Elvish proverb

      • Arden R. Smith
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 18, 2011
          In our discussions about the tengwar at Omentielva Cantea this past
          weekend, some questions about the shapes of certain Feanorian
          characters arose. I'd like to address a couple of those questions.

          The Feanorian zero: In the manuscripts upon which the presentations
          in _Quettar_ 13 and 14 were based, the zero clearly has the shape of a
          backwards c. It should not look like the right half of a heart, as
          Christopher Tolkien has generally written it.

          The tengwa /y/ in the Mode of Beleriand: All the unpublished tables
          of that mode agree that the loop of the letter should in fact be
          *closed*. This being the case, it should not be regarded as an
          alternative usage of _silme nuquerna_, but rather as an entirely
          different tengwa.