Amillo and Ómar

  • drussy
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 14, 2008
      Hey there.

      I and some friends wondered if any of you could help us with the
      etymology and the meaning of the following names: _Amillo_ and _Ómar_
      (cf. BLT1&2). We found a few things in PE 12 about _Amillo_ but couldn't
      manage to find any further pieces of information. Can anybody help ?

      Thank you!

      Vivien Stocker

      * * * * *

      [In the early list "Names of the Valar" published in Parma 14,
      Q. _Omar_ (so spelled with a short _o_) and _Amillo_ have as
      their Gnomish equivalents _Ûmor_ and _Gamlos_ (PE14:12). The
      editorial note to these names (pg. 13, n. 11) gives the following
      brief etymological analysis: "Gn. _Ûmor_ contains _ûm_ 'voice'
      (GL 74). Compare Q _Ómar_, "whose voice is the best of all voices"
      (I 75), from Q _ôma_ 'voice' (QL 69). Gn. _Gamlos_ = Q _Amillo_
      ('one of the Happy Folk (the Valar); Hilary', QL 30). The name
      _Hilary_ is derived from Latin _hilaris_ 'cheerful'. The meaning
      of the Qenya form suggests that Gn. _Gamlos_ is an agentive <
      _gama-_ 'call, shout to' (GL 37), perhaps meaning *'one who
      shouts for joy'. Gn. _gama-_ is also cognate with Q _yamin_
      'shout, call'. This varying correspondence of initial Gn. _g-_ to
      initial _y-_ or lack of initial consonant in Qenya may also be
      seen in Gn. _ger_ 'ore, metal' (GL 38) and Q _yere(n), ere(n)_
      'iron or steel' (QL 36." -- PHW]