Re: [Lambengolmor] inwisti

  • Beregond. Anders Stenström
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 15, 2002
      Erestel wrote:

      > "With such changes of 'mind-mood' or inwisti their lámatyáver might
      > also change." [Laws & Customs - Of Naming]
      >
      > I can see two hypothesis :
      > 1) _inwisti_ refers to 'mind-mood'
      > 2) _inwisti_ refers to the *changes* of 'mind-mood'
      >
      > _inwisti_ seems to be in the plural, . . . So I
      > would tend to 2)

      This argument has some force, yet 1) seems to me the natural
      way to read the sentence. I therefore suppose the plurality (if
      such it is) of _inwisti_ is a constructio ad sensum, due to the several
      moods implied by the occurrence of changes.

      As for the etymology of *_inwiste_, my simple guess is
      *_inwe_ + *_iste_, where *_inwe_ would be a relative to _indo_
      'mind', and *_iste_ the formal and semantic equivalent to Gnomish
      _ist_ "feeling, sensation. -- notion" (GL (in PE XI)).

      Meneg suilaid,

      Beregond
    • gentlebeldin
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 23, 2002
        Surprisingly, there's still another interpretation:

        Root ING- + abstract suffix _we_ + root IS-, "first/foremost
        knowledge".

        I'm aware I have to supply quite some evidence for my strange
        statement:

        1. _Inwe_ is a variant of the name _Ingwe_, the first high-king of
        the Eldalie (LR, Index "Inwe" and "Ingwe"). There is at least one
        other similar derivation, _Inwir_, the house of Ingwe in Lost Tales.
        2. The root IS- showed up as _ist-_ in all known derivations (Etym,
        entry IS-).

        I see one problem: the glosses "knowledge" and "(mind-)mood" seem to
        be incompatible. But that may be just us: "knowledge" needs not to be
        restricted to rationality in other cultures, or in Tolkien's
        understanding, and the fact that he used the same element _ist_
        for "feeling, sensation" in Gnomish (cf. Beregond's message 105)
        could be a third evidence in favor of my hypothesis.