PE17: Some more questions
- Some more questions on PE 17, further to those in a previous message of
mine (lambengolmor message 1040):
1) On page 18 s.v. _Dúnadan_, the Quenya word_tarhildi_ appears. Is the
reading with -h- rather than -k- certain? _Tarkil_ (so spelled in
Appendix F:I) seems to have been the form used from early drafts on.
2) The text on "pronominal adjectival affixes" ("probably dating to the
mid-1960s") quoted in VT49:17 reads as a later version of the notes on
EQ possessive suffixes, PE17:130 ("placed in a bundle of papers enclosed
in a folded newspaper dated 5 May 1965"). Or could it be the other way
3) The draft letter to Mr. Masson includes a detailed analysis of
Galadriel's Song. Curiously, Tolkien made no comment on the first
two lines, or on the part after 'imbe met' (i.e. the lines 'ar hísie /
untúpa Calaciryo míri oiale', &c). Is a page missing from the draft?
4) I just posted a partial index (of sorts) to manuscripts referenced in
PE 17, mainly as an aid to resolve cross-references. In it I assumed
that the excerpts from the letter to Mr. Matthews were basically
published in the reverse of their original order. Did I get the order right?
(At first I sent this message and a previous version of the "index" as
one post, but then decided to cancel it and turn them into separate
messages -- in case someone was wondering about the 'cancellation
message' that unexpectedly appeared on the list. :) )