Foreshadowing of Christ (Re: "Átaremma" backgrou nd)

  • Petri Tikka
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 14 10:38 AM
      > [It is not true, strictly speaking, that Jesus is not mentioned within
      > the framework of Tolkien's mythology: the Trinity is clearly present in
      > the _Qenya Lexicon_, and Christ is clearly foreshadowed in the _Athrabeth
      > Finrod ah Andreth_. Moreover, the Holy Spirit, by the name of the Secret
      > Flame / Fire, is prominently present throughout the mythology. Carl]

      Thank you, but I was completely aware of the foreshadowing of Christ in the
      _Athrabeth_ and the Holy Spirit being the Secret Flame. Yet it is
      not true, strictly speaking, that Jesus and Christianity are mentioned
      within the framework of Tolkien's mythology: while the Trinity is
      present in the _Qenya Lexicon_, and Christ is clearly foreshadowed in the
      _Athrabeth Finrod ah Andreth_, they are not actually _named_ anywhere.
      I am not a master of English, so I am not always fully aware of all the
      connotations of English words. I meant _mentioning_ as in the sense of
      concrete _naming_. Is Jesus mentioned in the Old Testament? I would say
      yes and no. No, because he is not explicitly described anywhere. Yes,
      because his future actions can be associated with desriptions of a coming
      saviour. Exactly the same things can be said about Tolkien's mythology.

      P.S. Is there/what is an/the internal background for _Qenya Lexicon_
      provided by Tolkien? I wouldn't know it, since it is completely
      unavailable to me.

      Petri Tikka Helsinki, Finland
      kari.j.tikka@...
      http://www.geocities.com/petristikka/