_VT_, _Parma_ errata and addenda

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 30, 2007
      I've accumulated a fair backlog of reported errata, which I'm consolidating
      here into a single post. My thanks to all who have spotted these
      errors and reported them.

      This is a good time to remind people of the E.L.F. Errata web-page,
      which contains a list of all confirmed errata reported to me for both
      _VT_ and _Parma_, compiled and maintained by Per Lindberg:
      <http://www.elvish.org/errata/>.

      Please continue to report errata to me and Per at: errata@....

      Carl

      =======================

      Diego SeguÌ notes the following:

      In VT36:25, second paragraph, it is speculated that "primitive _3o_
      could account for the ending..."; shouldn't this read _3Ù_ [macron]
      instead? Two lines below the hypothetical form which includes it is
      *_assa-t-3Ù_.

      [For the greatest clarity, yes, it would have been best to cite the
      putative ending as _-3Ù_ (with macron); though at some point this
      would have been reduced to _-3o_ by the regular shortening of
      original final long vowels. CFH]

      In VT49:6-7 and 17-18 there must be something wrong with _lasir_ vs.
      _lasÌr_: on pages 17-18 it says that AS1 had _lasi_, then _la lasir_
      [short] was added above, and then _la_ and _lasi_ were struck out,
      "leaving just _lasir_ (with long _Ì_)" (!) On the other hand, page 7
      says that in AS3 _lasÌr_ [long] >> _˚sir_, but according to page 18
      this version "had _lasir_ [short] as first written, emended to _˚sir_".

      [The parenthetical comment "(with long _Ì_)" in the note on AS1 (p.
      18) is indeed an error; omit the comment. In AS3, the form as first
      written is very clearly _lasÌr_, and the note on p. 7 is correct; the
      note on p. 18 is in error, and should read "had _lasÌr_ as first
      written" etc. CFH]

      In VT49:19 _Tintalle_ should be _TintallÎ_ (with diaeresis), since it
      is the text of LR that is being quoted.

      [Correct. Read _TintallÎ_. CFH]

      In VT49:23 is _numenna_ the correct reading, instead of _n˙menna_?
      There is no comment on this short _u_ in _n˙men_ 'west', but the only
      other occurrences in related words that I can find are _numenda_ and
      _numenda-_ in PE12:68 (apart from _Numenorean_ in early editions of LR).

      [The reading _numenna_ is correct. When writing hastily -- as he
      definitely was in this glossary -- Tolkien did not always supply
      diacritics. CFH]

      In VT49:35 the base WA-N- from Etym. is quoted with a short A,
      whereas according to VT46:21 the correct reading is W¬-N- [macron]
      (besides, the parenthesis that follows says "probably <
      W¬").

      [Correct. Read W¬-N- (with macron) and add citation of VT46:21. CFH]

      In VT49:45 the root √_ber-_ appears with a hyphen in Tolkien's quote,
      but as √_ber_ in the next line, without the hyphen; read √_ber-_?

      [Tolkien cites it both ways, but for editorial consistency I ought
      indeed to have cited it as √_ber-_. CFH]

      In VT49:48 _lumissen_ should be _l˙missen_, as the word appears on
      the previous page.

      [Correct. Read _l˙missen_. CFH]

      In VT49:48 "endings (_kse_, _kser_, _kset_)" should use hyphens
      "endings (_-kse_, _-kser_, _-kset_"), as these appear in the table
      below (or have the hyphens been added editorially in the table?)

      [The hyphens were indeed supplied editorially, as the forms,
      beginning with _ks_, cannot be anything else in Quenya (and since,
      again when writing hastily as here, Tolkien was not himself
      consistent in providing such hyphens). I should note here that in my
      editorial notes and commentary I will often cite in unmodified form
      such forms as I have tidied editorially in their presentation of
      Tolkien's text, and without comment, when the change is so minor as
      this. CFH]

      Similarly, In VT49:49 "1 pl. incl. gen. _lmo_" should read "1 pl.
      incl. gen. _-lmo_" with a hyphen (this is not quoting the table, but
      decomposing _omentielmo_, and the argument continues "implies poss. _-
      lma_", etc.)

      [Correct. Read _-lmo_. CFH]

      In VT49:52, note 1, _tengwea_ should be _tengwÎa_, as the form
      appears on pages 54-5 (note _-wÎa_ on p. 48).

      [Correct. Read _tengwÎa_. CFH]

      =======================

      Merlin DeTardo notes the following:

      PE17:6 first full paragraph, seventh line of that paragraph: "so that
      Tolkien is translated ancalima 'brightest, very bright'".

      [Read "so that Tolkien translated". CFH]

      PE17: 8, fourth full paragraph, first line of that paragraph: "the
      content of a dozen loose sheets place together".

      [Read "placed together". CFH]

      =======================

      Fredrik Strˆm notes the following:

      PE17:10 For "for some the terminology for which Tolkien assumes a
      knowledge", read "for some of the terminology for which
      Tolkien assumes a knowledge"

      PE17:10 For "interested in lingistics" read "interested in linguistics"

      PE17:15 The editor writes that in _RC_ 'the entry for _Sarn Ford_
      gives the Sindarin form as
      _Sarn-thrad_ (p. 775)'. It should be noted that an erratum for this
      typo has been published at
      <http://mysite.verizon.net/wghammond/addenda/readers.html>
      (entry for page 775).

      PE17:96 s.v. _Araw_, the reference to 'a note on _Earendil_' should
      read 'see I 246' (not I 380).

      PE17:165 Since the list of "Eldarin Roots and Stems" is intended to
      be complete with cross-reference entries to all of the roots cited,
      the following item should be added to the list: (note: <TH> should
      be spelled with a capital thorn):

      MI<TH>- [See I 394, s.v. _sinda_]

      PE17:220 The following item should be added to the "List of
      Abbreviations":

      NT = "Notes and Translations" (in _The Road Goes Ever On_)

      =======================

      And finally, two of my own:

      In VT49:40 I cite the "inscription Tolkien made for his erstwhile
      student Elaine Griffiths (1909-1996), in her copy of the first
      edition of _The Lord of the Rings_, which reads: '_Elainen t·rin
      Periondion ar meldenya any·ran_'".

      That should of course read _Periandion_.

      In PE17:126 we read: "_-nt_, Sindarin past of transitive verb. _-ir_
      intransitive. _agarfast_, he talked. _agarfant beth_, he spoke
      words." Editor Christopher Gilson further notes that: "A letter,
      probably an _s_, was added in pencil above the ending _-ir_."

      I've looked at my (second-generation) photocopy of this manuscript
      and, to my eyes, it is possible to read this "_-ir_" as a very poorly
      formed _-st_, in which the _s_ is a barely curvy, nearly vertical
      stroke, and the top of the _t_ is formed just above and just to the
      right of this _s_, curving right and down, with the cross of the
      "_t_" looping out in one continuous stroke (very like the branch of
      an _r_, it must be noted). If so, then the _s_ that Tolkien wrote
      above this was a clarification to himself of his own handwriting
      (something he occasionally had to do!). Given this, and given the
      occurrence of _st_ in the form cited immediately afterwards as an
      example of this intransitive ending, the possibility of reading this
      as _-st_ should be noted.

      However, it must also be noted that Christopher Gilson, who gives the
      reading from his _first_-generation photocopy, maintains that the
      correct reading is indeed _-ir_.

      Carl