_Parma Eldalamberon_ 17 and thoughts on Ross Smith's Language Monograph

  • Andrew Higgins
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 17, 2007
      I am hearing rumors (fama volat) that Parma 17 exists and that it
      contains information on Tolkien's exotic languages in LOTR (including
      Khuzdul). Any info on when we will be able to purchase this? Definite
      buyer in the UK waiting here!

      [I'm sure that the editor and publisher of _Parma_, Christopher Gilson, will make an announcement soon as to how to order a copy of _Parma_ 17. It is a very large issue, and I'm sure Chris had a very large number of copies printed, and its publication went right down to the wire of Mythcon. So no doubt he is still getting all the copies together and preparing things for what is sure to be a flood of orders for this very interesting issue. Keep an eye on the _Parma_ web site (<http://www.eldalamberon.com>), the E.L.F. site (<http://www.elvish.org/>) and/or the Lambengolmor list (<http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/Lambengolmor/>) for the announcement. CFH]

      I just finished the Walking Tree Press monograph - _Inside Language:
      Linguistic and Aesthetic Theory in Tolkien_ by Ross Smith (excellent
      lite (not splintered) beach reading). I'd be interested to hear thoughts
      on it. I thought it was laid out very clearly although some of it
      seemed to be a restatement of what V. Flieger wrote in _A Splintered
      Light_ from Barfield's Theories (need to find a copy of Poetic
      Diction). I thought the comparisons he drew to Borges and the language
      in Tlon, Urbs Tertius was interesting.

      [We welcome discussion of this (and any other) work, so long as it is related in some fashion to Tolkien's linguistic thoughts and inventions. CFH]

      Best, Andy