Re: Magol or Mago - Another Language?

  • Roman Rausch
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 16, 2007
      Patrick H. Wynne wrote:

      > "Tolkien's Hungarian-style language is actually called _Mágol_. In the
      > earlier of the two texts on this language it is called _Mágo_ and more
      > closely resembles Adunaic than Hungarian; this same text also says
      > that 'Old Mágo' was the language of the children of Húrin. ... In the later
      > text, the language is called _Mágol_ and seems clearly modeled after
      > Hungarian in phonology and grammatical structure, while retaining a
      > strong Elvish influence as well ...

      Very intriguing! I wonder whether there is some connection between
      _Mágo(l)_ and the names we get to know from Michael Ramer (a fictional
      professor of Finno-Ugric phonology) in the 'Notion Club Papers'
      (IX:161 ff.).

      For instance he mentions _Shomorú_ 'Saturn' (IX:221), _Dalud dimran_
      or _Eshil dimzor_ (IX:218), a waterfall on the world _Ellor Eshúrizel_
      (IX:200). Actually, it seemed to me that these names resemble the
      later Valarin.

      Ramer also uses some Hungarian words or similar ones: _Gyönyörü_,
      _Emberü_ (IX:178,214), _Gyürüchill_ 'Saturn' (IX:205,221) and so on.

      Are we perhaps dealing with specimens of _Mágo(l)_ in one of these two
      linguistic layers, just as we meet there Quenya and Adunaic?

      Roman Rausch

      [This is an intriguing possibility, to be sure, but there seems to be
      no correspondence between words or elements in Mágo(l) and Ramer's
      Hungarian-style dream-names in _The Notion Club Papers_.

      BTW, as I noted in a letter to Christopher Tolkien (see XI:xi), the name
      _Shomorú_ itself is probably < Hung. _szomorú_ 'sad'. -- PHW]