98Re: inwisti

  • pa2rick
    Jul 11, 2002
      In Message #97, Jerome / "Erestel" queries a passage in "Of the Laws and
      Customs among the Eldar" (X:216) that states: "With such changes of 'mind-
      mood' or _inwisti_ their _lámatyáver_ might also change." Jerome says of
      the word _inwisti_:

      > I can see two hypothesis :
      > 1) _inwisti_ refers to 'mind-mood'
      > 2) _inwisti_ refers to the *changes* of 'mind-mood'
      > _inwisti_ seems to be in the plural, and I don't see any element in
      > this word which is related to mind or mood as far as I know. So I
      > would tend to 2) But it is not evident to me.

      The evidence supports hypothesis 1), actually. Here is what Carl F.
      Hostetter and I wrote regarding _inwisti_ in "_Morgoth's Ring_: A
      Linguistic Review -- Part I" (VT34:19-20):

      "_inwisti_ -- 'mind-mood', in _Laws and Customs_ a term describing one's
      tastes and interests, which might change over the course of time (216).
      The first element appears as a separate word _inno_ 'mind' [> _indo_] in
      this same passage. In an earlier draft the form is _inwaldi_, with 'mind'
      given as _ín_, _indo_ (229-30 n.16). The origin of the elements _-wisti_,
      _-waldi_ 'mood' in these forms is unclear, unless we are to assume some
      connection with _vista_ 'air as substance' (LR:399 s.v. WIS-) and _vald-_
      'blessedness, happiness' (< VALA; LT1:272). See also _indo_ 'mind'."

      By the way, I don't find the etymological connections for _-wisti_,
      _-waldi_ that Carl and I tentatively proposed in this entry to be
      particularly compelling, though at the moment I'm at a loss to think of
      any better alternatives. Perhaps someone else has some suggestions?

      -- Patrick Wynne
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic