91Runic table, _tengwar_ inscription in Sotheby's catalogue

    Jul 4, 2002
      As I mentioned earlier, the new Sotheby's auction catalogue (L02303:
      London, Bond Street 11 Jul 02 - 12 Jul 02, Literature and Illustration)
      features a number of Tolkien lots, including two that will be of interest
      to students of his invented languages: Lot 781 features a runic table by
      Tolkien, included in a copy of _The Hobbit_ as a key to the Anglo-Saxon
      runic system employed in that book; and Lot 785, a set of _The Lord of the
      Rings_ inscribed by Tolkien with a _tengwar_ version of the phrase _Nai
      hiruvalye Valimar_ from "Galadriel's Lament". The two items can be seen,
      and the catalogue purchased, at:

      | |
      | Ars longa, vita brevis. |