79RE: [Lambengolmor] Re: Various umlauts in Sindarin plurals

  • Pavel Iosad
    Jun 19, 2002
      Anders Stenström wrote:

      > >> . . . Perhaps phrases like _Ered Wethrin_ were treated
      > like compounds :
      > >> _*orodwathren_ would regularly yield the pl. _*eredwethrin_.

      Also, we have _y_ in hardly differing things like _Emyn Muil_

      > > What of _ered e-mbar nîn_?
      > > The answer is simple (I'd say) - Tolkien was vacillating. As always.

      > Tolkien gave the plural of _orod_ as "_eryd_, _ered_" (in TC:
      > "Guide to the
      > Names in _The Lord of the Rings_" Places, s.v._Ashen
      > Mountains_),

      Good point. Objection withdrawn, more questions raised below.

      > so it would seem to be a matter of morphological variation,
      > rather than vacillation.

      What kind of variation?
      Can it have been dialectal variation rather than purely morphological?
      _Eryd_ appears in First-Age writings of _The War of the Jewels_, but
      _ered_ in _The Lord of the Rings_. Perhaps we can write it off to the
      Gondor dialect, but then, confer LR:1089, where Sindarin _y_ is
      explicitly stated to be pronounced as _i_ in Gondor. Why not _*erid_,
      _*enid_ then? A wild guess is that the Mannish Sindarin of Númenor
      somehow differed from First-Age Beleriand Sindarin (the Western dialect,
      apparently), but this has virtually no proof in the texts whatsoever,
      and perhaps not to be taken seriously. After all, _ered e-mbar nîn_ is
      First Age as well.

      Any takers?

      Pavel Iosad pavel_iosad@...

      'I am a philologist, and thus a misunderstood man'
      --JRR Tolkien, _The Notion Club Papers_
    • Show all 11 messages in this topic