78Re: Various umlauts in Sindarin plurals

  • Anders Stenström
    Jun 18, 2002
      Tchitrec (>>) and Pavel Iosad (>) wrote:

      >> Indeed _eryd_ becomes much more common in _The War of the Jewels_,
      >> though _ered_ does not totally disappears. Possibly Tolkien
      >> felt "compelled" to keep _ered_ because it had appeared in LR.
      >
      > But he apparently didn't use the opporunity of the second edition of LR
      > to emend it, as he did with _vánier_ and _omentilmo_.
      >
      >> . . . Perhaps phrases like _Ered Wethrin_ were treated like compounds :
      >> _*orodwathren_ would regularly yield the pl. _*eredwethrin_.
      >
      > What of _ered e-mbar nîn_?
      > The answer is simple (I'd say) - Tolkien was vacillating. As always.

      Tolkien gave the plural of _orod_ as "_eryd_, _ered_" (in TC: "Guide to the
      Names in _The Lord of the Rings_" Places, s.v._Ashen Mountains_), so it would
      seem to be a matter of morphological variation, rather than vacillation.

      Meneg suilaid,

      Beregond

      P.S. When writing the above I looked up the list of abbreviations to be used on
      this list, to find the one for "Guide . . .": There was not one, but the book
      in which it appears has an abbreviation of its own. To my -- perhaps too
      angular -- way of thinking this seems skewed. The relevant sources for which
      we need abbreviations should be works by J.R.R. Tolkien. It seems to me both
      logical and practical to write GN for "Guide to the Names in _The Lord
      of the Rings_".

      [But then we would have still to note that GN is published in TC; and
      furthermore, all page references are to TC, not GN. Personally, I would cite
      a GN reference as either "TC:xxx s.v. Entry" or "in Tolkien's "Guide to Names",
      s.v. Entry (TC:xxx)". Carl]
    • Show all 11 messages in this topic